Raymarine forum

Full Version: [CA11] Quantum 2 Range and Sailboat Installation
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hello,

I am interested in installing a Quantum 2 on a radar pole on the stern of my 36’ sailboat. Since the low-end range is 18’, will that be an issue with the radar seeing the mast and the bow of the boat etc? Current radar is installed on mast, but I want to upgrade and ideally move it back to a radar pole, but would keep it on the mast if that is recommended since the range is much shorter.

Thank you.
Welcome to the Raymarine Forum NHsail,

Please click here to view a related article addressing this subject. It is quite common for radomes to be mounted to a pole on the stern of a sailing vessel or to the vessel's backstay without adversely affecting the performance of the radar due to features of the boat forward or the radome. As indicated within the referenced article, mounting the radar on a mast may increase its range, but at possible cost to increasing the area of the radar cone of silence. As indicated there are also some practical reasons for mounting a radome to a stern pole or backstay. If considering a stern mount, given the short range performance of Quantum radomes, it is certainly possible that the radome may pick up vessel structures forward of the radome. I tend to favor mast mounting where permissible.
Thank you Chuck, for the revised response. That is exactly the info I was looking for.
You're welcome.
Reference URL's