Raymarine forum

Full Version: [DG11] Controlling a S3 autopilot.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi! I am helping a friend with his autopilot controls!
He has the Smartpilot S3 and wants to control it with a rotary knob style control head!
Can he use the ST8002 controller and have full functionality for commissioning and calibration etc?

He also has an es128 MFD. Is it correct that it can control his autopilot as long as he runs Lighthouse II ? Will it only require a ST/STng converter to accomplish this?

Best regards, fnav.
Hi Fnav,
Thank you for your enquiry.

The S3 Course computer can be controlled by the ST8001/ST8002 control unit, however, access to calibration is difficult with the St8000 series and so we generally advise keeping the original format control unit to enable calibration as and when needed.

The eS128 can be connected via an E22158 STng to SeaTalk converter and then the track/ route in the eS128 can be used to guide the S3 from Waypoint to waypoint. If you keep the eS128 on Lighthouse 2, then you can engage track mode on the MFD and then on the S3 and it will follow the route.

Regards
Derek
Hi, thanks for reply!
From what i have read, my conclusion was that with Lighthouse 2 i can have full control of the S3 autopilot from the es128! Like setting AUTO/STBY etc?
Is this not fully correct?
Best regards, fnav.
Hi fnav,

Operationally you will have control with lighthouse 2, AUTO/STANDBY as well as course change capability, however, you will still need the control unit to access calibration.

Thanks
Derek
Hi and thanks!
That was great news for me concerning the MFD!
Concerning a "rotary knob" style control unit, would a new P70R/RS have full functionality concerning calibration and so on the S3 autopilot?
Best regards, fnav.
Hi fnav,
Thanks for the feedback,

The p70s and p70Rs can both operationally control the S3 autopilot computer, but cannot access calibration, you would need to keep an older style control unit is a locker somewhere to be able to access the full calibration.
Thanks
Derek
Thanks!
All clear to me now!
Great support as Always!
Best regards.
Reference URL's