Raymarine forum

Full Version: Stand Alone RS130
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I am attempting to interface a RS130 to a vYacht WiFi Multiplexor
This is outside of the boat as I wanted to test it was working before installation.
The boat has an existing ST1 network of knotmeter, compass, depth, compass.
This first attempt is from my Living Room so no other instruments are currently available.

Step 1 - The RS130 is connected to a E22158 STng -> ST1 convertor.
Powered up. No other connection. Attached image shows connections

RS130 flashes Red/Orange indicating it is unable to communicate with the STng buss.

Is this because there is no other equipment currently connected to the network?

Will the GPS only broadcast when it sees other devices on the network?

Step 2 - I powered the E22158/RS130 through the ST1 port. This freed up one of the STng ports to interface to the multiplexor via its NMEA2000 input.
No Signal was detected.
This could be explained by the errors I am seeing in Step 1 but wanted to see if there could be any other cause.

Any insight greatly appreciated.
dprice,

Q1. I am attempting to interface a RS130 to a vYacht WiFi Multiplexor
This is outside of the boat as I wanted to test it was working before installation.
The boat has an existing ST1 network of knotmeter, compass, depth, compass.
This first attempt is from my Living Room so no other instruments are currently available.

Step 1 - The RS130 is connected to a E22158 STng -> ST1 convertor.
Powered up. No other connection. Attached image shows connections

RS130 flashes Red/Orange indicating it is unable to communicate with the STng buss.

Is this because there is no other equipment currently connected to the network?

Will the GPS only broadcast when it sees other devices on the network?

A1. The reason for the RS130's flashing amber LED is that the sensor is indicating that is has booted up and is unable to acquire sufficient GPS signal strength to determine a GPS position FIX. The sensor is designed to be installed/operated in a location affording it an unobstructed view of the skies overhead ... i.e. it may quite well not be able to acquire a GPS position FIX in your living room. The RS130 GPS Sensor is not dependent upon the detection of other devices to transmit data.

Q2. Step 2 - I powered the E22158/RS130 through the ST1 port. This freed up one of the STng ports to interface to the multiplexor via its NMEA2000 input.
No Signal was detected.
This could be explained by the errors I am seeing in Step 1 but wanted to see if there could be any other cause.

A2. See the response to Q1. Additionally, it is not recommended that power be back fed into the ST-STng Converter via it's SeaTalk port. Please click here to view how it is intended to be installed.
I did drag the sensor approx. 10' from house onto my lawn (facing south) and it did sit there for an hour or so. I will try to drag it further out.
I tried to power through the ST1 as I read the bus should only be powered from one side and I didn't have enough STng ports to power and interface to the NMEA port of the multiplexor. I have several more STng cables and connectors ordered so I will try again after I have the additional components.

Thank you for your feed back.
dprice,

You're welcome. It would typically be recommended that a SeaTalkng 5-Way Connector rather than a SeaTalk to SeaTalkng Converter be used for this purpose. The SeaTalkng 5-Way Connector would in turn be interfaced to the SeaTalkng/NMEA 2000 multiplexer.
I moved the sensor to the roof and it obtained a fix in a few minutes.
Noted.
Reference URL's