Raymarine forum

Full Version: [CA11] do i still need P70 when I install ACU-100 with EV1 and EV100 tiller drive
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi, got 2 quick questions!

Q1 - would this modified autopilot install work?
Q2 - do I still need P70® control head when I have Axiom MFD with LH3?

To autopilot control a Honda 8 hp outboard as a kicker motor! I have a DIY outboard to outboard steering link - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S4Y5EFZfHlA&t=430s

1. ACU-100
2. EV100 Tiller drive
3. R70160 cabling kit
4. EV1 sensor core
Welcome back to the Raymarine Forum ray18,

The EV100 Tiller Autopilot has not been designed and tested for the use in this application. The supported method of using an autopilot with a kicker would require that the outboard and kicker be tied to one another via a kicker motor steering rod. The autopilot would in turn be connected to the vessel's steering system. Should the vessel feature hydraulic steering, then the model of Evolution Power Pilot would be determined based upon the cubic capacity of the vessel's steering ram. Please click here to view a FAQ addressing the latter. Please click here to view a FAQ addressing how cable steered powerboat would be fitted with an autopilot drive unit.
ok, thanks. yes My baystar Hydraulic steering for my main outboard Johnson 90 hp has a 118.6 cc steering RAM so I need EV150 with steering pump for autopiloting my Johnson 90.

The reason I am looking to use this application is with Honda 8 hp disconnected from my Johnson 90 outboard. So, the autopilot system will be used only to steer the kicker motor without linking the Johnson 90.

I see I can buy ST1000 to autopilot my Honda 8 hp without liking the Johnson 90 for trolling at slow speed like under 5 nautical miles an hour. But, what cable do I use to link ST1000 to Raymarine Axiom 9" MFD? or is that even possible to connect Axiom to ST1000 to autopilot my Honda 8 hp independently?
ray18,

Q1. My baystar Hydraulic steering for my main outboard Johnson 90 hp has a 118.6 cc steering RAM so I need EV150 with steering pump for autopiloting my Johnson 90.
A1. Correct. A T70330 EV-150 Hydraulic would be recommended for this application. As indicated within my initial response, the a tiller pilot would neither be recommended, nor supported for this application. One of the keys to having a tiller pilot perform properly is ensuring the correct geometry between the tiller drive and the tiller as well as the tiller arm length (i.e. attachment point of the drive to the tiller arm) as specified within Chapter 4.2 Installing the tiller pin and mounting socket of the ST1000/ST2000 Tiller Pilots Owner's Handbook.

Q2. What cable do I use to link ST1000 to Raymarine Axiom 9" MFD?
A2. As the ST1000/ST2000 Tiller Pilots feature a SeaTalk communications interface, but lack a SeaTalkng / NMEA 2000 Communications Interface, an E22158 SeaTalk to SeaTalkng Converter Kit would be required to link the MFD to a ST1000/ST2000 Tiller Pilot. The SeaTalk socket (yellow) of the SeaTalk to SeaTalkng Converter would be cabled to the three SeaTalk pins of the Tiller Pilot's socket. The MFD in turn would be interfaced to a spur socket of the SeaTalk to SeaTalkng Converter via a DeviceNet (F) to SeaTalkng Adapter Cable.
Reference URL's