Raymarine forum

Full Version: EV-1 Error Code "No Seatalk"
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Just completed my installation of EV-1, ACU-100, P70 and wheel drive. Seems to boot up OK, but the EV-1 gives error code in red: Two quick flashes, long off, repeated, apparently indicating no SeaTalk connection.
The ACU-100 gave similar code (green dash-dot-dot, repeated, but after a couple of minutes it went to solid green, but the EV-1 code doesn't correct. I've checked all connections and re-plugged them numerous times but can't find anything obvious. The P70 scrolls though most functions but gives "No Pilot" message. Didn't check voltage but almost certainly not the problem since everything seems to power on OK and batteries were at full or near-full charge and being fed by solar charger which means the autopilot was probably seeing about 13.6.
Any ideas?
Thanks!
John
Bristol 29.9 "Thunder Mist"
Hello John,

Usually this is one of 2 things:
  1. Incorrect layout of STNG network, e.g. something other than the required 2 network terminators (blue blanking plugs, must always be exactly 2)
  2. EV running old software compared to the ACU. There is a known condition where if you have old software on the EV and new on the ACU then that can cause the EV to continually reboot. The solution is to unplug the ACU, update the software in the EV through a multifunction display (MFD) and then replug the ACU.

To this, in your system, I'd add a question mark about the solar charge. We frequently come across poorly-regulated solar output which might look like a stable 13V on a multimeter but is in fact anything but stable when you look with something more sensitive (oscilloscope.) That doesn't matter for batteries, but it does with more sensitive electronics. The same, by the way, can apply to other non-DC charging sources.

If I had to hazard a guess though, I'd say terminators not fitted or not fitted in the right places.

Regards,
Tom
Oh Wow, the terminators! Didn't realize they had to be in place, but hopefully that will do the trick, and thanks for the heads up on the solar charger.
Thanks Tom.
John

(07-04-19 01:19 AM)Tom - Raymarine - Moderator Wrote: [ -> ]Hello John,

1. Incorrect layout of STNG network, e.g. something other than the required 2 network terminators (blue blanking plugs, must always be exactly 2)
  2. EV running old software compared to the ACU. There is a known condition where if you have old software on the EV and new on the ACU then that can cause the EV to continually reboot. The solution is to unplug the ACU, update the software in the EV through a multifunction display (MFD) and then replug the ACU.

To this, in your system, I'd add a question mark about the solar charge. We frequently come across poorly-regulated solar output which might look like a stable 13V on a multimeter but is in fact anything but stable when you look with something more sensitive (oscilloscope.) That doesn't matter for batteries, but it does with more sensitive electronics. The same, by the way, can apply to other non-DC charging sources.

If I had to hazard a guess though, I'd say terminators not fitted or not fitted in the right places.

Regards,
Tom
Tom, I inserted the two terminators and as you suspected that did the trick. It would have saved me a lot of head scratching if I had seen this tip in the installation instructions, but anyway, now it seems to work fine.
Thanks!
John

(07-05-19 05:31 AM)VT2C Wrote: [ -> ]Oh Wow, the terminators! Didn't realize they had to be in place, but hopefully that will do the trick, and thanks for the heads up on the solar charger.
Thanks Tom.
John

(07-04-19 01:19 AM)Tom - Raymarine - Moderator Wrote: [ -> ]Hello John,

Regards,
Tom
Reference URL's