Raymarine forum

Full Version: [CA11] HS5 Network Switch mounting position
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Good morning,

My question is about the mounting orientation of the HS5 networking switch. In the installation instructions, it says the HS5 must be mounted vertically and level. That's making it tough for me to find a place to put it, especially since then the cords will point downward. I know you have to specify things such that they will cover a wide variety of situations, but can I ask why the vertical mounting?

If it makes a difference, my specific mounting will be in an enclosed cabin, not near a door or port/window. So no water. If necessary (I don't know if it is), I can make a space behind it for air flow. Is the back a heat sink? Does it even generate heat?

Or is it about keeping the Raynet ports dry (pointing down) in case it's not in a dry location?

Don't want to just "break" the rules unless I understand them and know my situation will be okay.

I'll be hooking up two Axioms and a Quantum Q24C, btw.

Thank you,
Pete
Welcome back to the Raymarine Forum Pete,

Q1. why the vertical mounting?
A1. By installing the HS5 RayNet Network Switch in the specified orientation,
- the keyhole openings will be properly oriented to prevent the switch from coming loose from the bulkhead / mounting surface that it will be attached to.
- maximum protection against water/condensation infiltration will be achieved, as any such moisture will not drip down the cables toward the switch's connectors.

Q2. Does it even generate heat?
A2. The specified installation orientation is not for heat dissipation purposes.
Thank you, Chuck.
You're welcome.
Reference URL's