Raymarine forum

Full Version: [CA11] What is bridged from Seatalk to NMEA 0183 E-Series
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I'm trying to find out if my E80 Classic MFD bridges any of my SeaTalk instrument data to NMEA 0183. My current configuration is as follows:

I have ST60 instruments plus an ST6001 autohelm head and S2G computer on the SeaTalk bus (original, not NG). I've got NMEA 0183 going to my VHF which currently has AIS (Standard Horizon Matrix 2200) and configured at 3800 baud. GPS data arrives on the NMEA 0183 to the VHF as I can set it to use internal or external plus my old VHF received GPS from that. I do not have the NMEA 2K running from my MFD and am trying to avoid adding that and threading it throughout the boat at this time.

What i want to do is add a Vesper Marine AIS XB-8000 to my setup connected through my NMEA 0183 that is currently present at my VHF. My desire in addition to the AIS transponder is to receive instrument data over the NMEA so the XB-8000 will transmit it over WiFi and I can use it on apps such as Navionics on my phone, tablet, etc.

Thus my question, is any of my instrument data being bridged by the E80 to the NMEA 0183 so the XB-8000 will pick it up? Alternatively, is the S2G Autohelm computer bridging any of the SeaTalk instrument data as well as it's own sensors (rudder, compass, etc.) out it's NMEA 0183 ports since those are even more conveniently located to where I will be connecting the XB-8000?

Note: I do see there is a configuration called "NMEA Output Setup" which says "Allows you to switch off individual NMEA out sentences listing options for: APB, BWC, BWR, DBT, DPT, GGA, GLL, MTW, RMA, RMB, RMC, RSD, RTE, TTM, VHW, VLW, VTG, WPL, ZDA. Does this imply that those sentences are being bridged to the NMEA 0183 if received on the E80? And are they still bridged when I have the NMEA Port setting to "38,400 AIS"?
Welcome to the Raymarine Forum plindheimer,

Q1. is any of my instrument data being bridged by the E80 to the NMEA 0183?
A1. Any GPS, instrument, or navigational data received by the MFD from a SeaTalk or SeaTalkhs source will then be used to populate the corresponding NMEA 0183 sentence(s), which in turn may be transmitted by the MFD. Regarding the latter, please note that the NMEA 0183 sentences supported for transmission by the MFD will by default be transmitted 1) if data is present within the system to populate the corresponding sentences and the MFD's NMEA 0183 output settings remain configured to transmit these sentences.

Q2. Is the S2G Autohelm computer bridging any of the SeaTalk instrument data as well as it's own sensors (rudder, compass, etc.) out it's NMEA 0183 ports since those are even more conveniently located to where I will be connecting the XB-8000?
A2. While not so of autopilots which followed the S1/S1G/S2/S2G/S3/S3G, these autopilots will indeed bridge SeaTalk instrument and GPS data to NMEA 0183, albeit at 4800 BAUD.

Q3. Does this imply that those sentences are being bridged to the NMEA 0183 if received on the E80?
A4. Yes. See the response to Q1.

Q4. And are they still bridged when I have the NMEA Port setting to "38,400 AIS"?
A4. Yes.
Thank you so much for all the detailed answers!
You're welcome.
Reference URL's