Raymarine forum

Full Version: [CA11] Multiple Axiom interfacing issues
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hello - it seems everything I could search is for older MFDs. I have a new Axiom Pro 9 and a new Axiom 9. The Pro9 is intended to be the data master. Both units have the latest software updates. I have a few questions:

1) Under network, the Axiom 9 also indicates it is the data master, so both MFDs want to be DM. I cannot fiind a way (including factory reboot) to turn off A9 DM. The A9 does see the AP9 and is set up to get the time and GPS info from the AP9. The A9 also sees the AIS that plugs into the SeaTalk connector.

2) The Quantum radar plugs into AP9, into a network port. FYI, the radar works and shows up on the AP9. The radar does not show up on the A9, even when I try to start it from A9. I prefer to not go WIFI for A9.

3) On the AP9, There is a cable from the NEMA2000 port into the SeaTalk connector. The A9 also plugs into the connector.

4) Both MFDs are on the same display group.

5) Final one!! I run Navionics charts on the AP9. I cannot get the A9 to see these charts. I was told I would not have to buy additional charts for the A9, that the two would share the charts.

Obviously, I have some issues and I can't figure it out. I very much appreciate your help. Thanks!
Welcome to the Raymarine Forum dpddj,

Q1) Under network, the Axiom 9 also indicates it is the data master, so both MFDs want to be DM. I cannot fiind a way (including factory reboot) to turn off A9 DM. The A9 does see the AP9 and is set up to get the time and GPS info from the AP9. The A9 also sees the AIS that plugs into the SeaTalk connector.
A1) Proper networking of Axiom/Axiom Pro/Axiom MFDs requires that they be interfaced to a one another via Ethernet networking, not via a SeaTalkng / NMEA 2000 network. Failure to properly network the MFDs to one another will result in each MFD reporting that it needs to be set as a Data Master MFD. Failure to properly interface the MFDs to one another will also permit them from sharing resources such as cartography, radar, fishfinder, thermal cameras, and other features requiring high bandwidth communications. This problem may also occur if a Raymarine Ethernet (RayNet) cable has been cut and then incorrectly spliced back together.

In a nutshell, each MFD should be interfaced to one another or to a powered HS5 RayNet Network Switch via an appropriate length of RayNet (F) to RayNet (F) Cable. Please attach a system diagram indicating how your MFDs have been interfaced to one another.

Q2) The Quantum radar plugs into AP9, into a network port. FYI, the radar works and shows up on the AP9. The radar does not show up on the A9, even when I try to start it from A9. I prefer to not go WIFI for A9.
A2. See the response to Q1.

Q3) On the AP9, There is a cable from the NEMA2000 port into the SeaTalk connector. The A9 also plugs into the connector.
A3) Should the MFDs only be interfaced to one another via SeaTalkng / NMEA 2000, then no sharing of high bandwidth data will occurs as indicated within my response to Q1.

Q4) Both MFDs are on the same display group.
A4. Noted, but not pertinent to this issue.

Q5) I run Navionics charts on the AP9. I cannot get the A9 to see these charts.
A5) Should the MFDs only be interfaced to one another via SeaTalkng / NMEA 2000, then no sharing of high bandwidth data (ex. cartography, radar, etc.) will occur as indicated within my response to Q1.
Oh......... looks like I have some work to do - I am not set up with a powered HS5 RayNet Network Switch via an appropriate length of RayNet (F) to RayNet (F) Cable.

It may take me a week or so to get back to this.
Thank you so much for your help. I'll keep you posted.
Dave
You're welcome.
Hi Chuck -
I'm getting there. It appears my quantum radar data cable will be about 5' too short to get to the network hub. Other than trying to move the hub closer to the radar cable end, is there a Quantum radar extension cable available? I cannot find one on the Raymarine site or in the catalog.
I ordered a 2.5m digital radar extension cable (A92141D) but I'd bet you already knew that wouldn't the right one - I should've checked first.
Thank you again.
Dave
Dave,

Quantum Data Cables feature a RayNet Plug. Such cables are designed to be extended with an assembly which has been constructed from and an A80162 RayNet (M) Pins to RayNet (M) Pins Cable Joiner and an appropriate length of RayNet (F) to RayNet (F) Cable. The Quantum Data Cable will be connected to the Quantum Radome. The aforementioned cable assembly will then be used to connect the HS5 RayNet Network Switch to the Quantum Data Cable.
I hope Raymarine is paying you well. Thank you for the help - finally got a chance to wrap this up and all systems are a go. I was hoping to be able to remove the AIS NMEA2000 cables to the Setalk connector, surmising that would communicate from the data master through the network, but it didn't seem so when tried. Nevertheless, everything seems happy now.
I really appreciate your help. Stay well.
Dave
You're welcome. Has each MFD been interfaced to the HS5 RayNet Network Switch via an appropriate length of RayNet (F) to RayNet (F) Cable? If so, then only one MFD will be permitted to be configured as the Data Master and the MFDs will share all data, including AIS data.
Hi Chuck -
All has been working well with above. Thanks again.
Dave
You're welcome.
Reference URL's