Raymarine forum

Full Version: [CA11] Depth Sounder shows 0.0 then ---
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi guys, first post so please be gentle with me :-)

Not sure what is happening but when I power up the system, it's an integrated ST290 everything seems to be ok, with the Speed showing 0.0 but after a few seconds, maybe 10-15 it goes to three dashes ie '---'.

If we sail the system will periodically show a speed but again for only a few seconds, it seems accurate according to the GPS.

I did just install a replacement display but it seems to be configured ok for the system, slave and sail etc and plugging in the old one that worked ok, it just had a black mark in the center of the screen making it difficult to read, has the same effect so I'm pretty sure that's not the culprit.

Any help on trouble shooting would be gratefully received.

Thanks

Andy
Welcome to the Raymarine Forum Andy,

What model of ST290 display are your referring to. Should the ST290 display be a Graphic or Data, then please indicate whether these displays are properly displaying other data from the system. If so, then it is recommended that the speed transducer insert be removed and inspected to ensure that it is free of marine growth and that its paddle wheel rotates freely. If so, the speed transducer should be tested. Should no fault be found with the speed transducer, the it would appear that the speed transducer pod may have suffered a failure. ST290 / ST70 Depth, Speed, and Wind pods can no longer be serviced and have not been available for some time and have collectively been replaced with Raymarine's iTC-5 Analog Instrument Converter. The latter may be interfaced to a spur socket within the ST290 backbone via an A06048 / 15.7in (0.4m) SeaTalkng to SeaTalk2 Adapter Cable.
Thanks Chuck.

The display is the E22057, I have three of them, 2 at the helm and one at the chart table along with the ST290 Wind display. It is one of the E22057 displays that I replaced.

Everything else displays just fine, except the auto helm will not work with out the speed and also True Wind speed, which is expected.

The paddle wheel is free of any weed and growth etc, I check it regularly and it is only in the water when we are sailing. I have also tried a replacement and it gave the same result so it looks as if the pod maybe the culprit here. I may have a spare but will get them checked by my dealer if I have no joy.

Appreciate the response, this is a great resource, thanks again.

Andy
Andy,

Thanks for the update. E22057 is the product ID for a ST290 Graphic Display. Changing the display would have no impact upon the symptom reported. Given the transducer tests performed, it would appear that the pod is problematic and should be replaced.
Thanks Chuck,

I sourced another Pod and it's fixed the issue.

Appreciate your help but I will look into upgrading sometime soon.

Thanks again

Abdy
Can I replace the existing Speed Pod E22069 with a newer E22107?

Secondly if I replace the pods with the ITC-5 do I have to have the full length cables from the sensors themselves? Most of them have been cut to length and it will be difficult to extend them to the required length or expensive to replace them, just to have the right length cable.

Thanks again for your help.

Andy
Andy,

Q1. Can I replace the existing Speed Pod E22069 with a newer E22107?
A1. Yes.

Q2. If I replace the pods with the ITC-5 do I have to have the full length cables from the sensors themselves? Most of them have been cut to length and it will be difficult to extend them to the required length or expensive to replace them, just to have the right length cable.
A2. With the exception of analog depth transducers, analog instrument transducer cables may cut and then spliced back together It is recommended that wind transducer cable lengths not exceed one hundred feet. Raymarine does not sell extension cables for analog instrument transducers.
Reference URL's