Raymarine forum

Full Version: [CA11] S1000 course computer
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I have a boat that has cable power assisted steering, for an autopilot I would like to go with an Octopus R type. Can I use the S1000 as a course computer?
tookalook1,

Q. I have a boat that has cable power assisted steering, for an autopilot I would like to go with an Octopus R type. Can I use the S10900 as a course computer?
A. Negative. The S1000 was exclusively designed for use the hydraulic pump which it had been packaged with. I have an Octopus Type R drive unit onboard my own I/O driven boat and these drive units should be mated to a T70156 EV-200 Power (Evolution Autopilot with p70R & ACU-200).
Thank you
Q how do you like the Octopus R? is it noisy and is the cable really stif as I am very limited in space and have to deal with 6Ft. of the cable
tookalook1,

Q1. how do you like the Octopus R?
A1. The drive has been onboard my boat since the summer of 2005 or 2006 and has functioned absolutely flawlessly. It is installed below decks on my 2001 22' Stingray 220DS w/Mercruiser 5.7L & Alpha 1 Gen II outdrive.

Q2. is it noisy
A2. This has certainly not been my experience

Q3. is the cable really stif as I am very limited in space and have to deal with 6Ft. of the cable
A3. The cable housing is fairly stiff, but posed no issues to install within my boat. I have likewise received no negative comments from any others who have installed the drive unit.
But I would still have to include the EV 1 sensor correct? and thanks for your input I just can't find anyone that has an Octopus R drive nor much info so Thank you
tookalook1,

Q1. But I would still have to include the EV 1 sensor correct?
A1. Please click on T70156 EV-200 Power link within my initial response to view the product page for this Evolution autopilot package. As indicated therein, the package includes an EV-1 CCU.

Q2. I just can't find anyone that has an Octopus R drive nor much info so.
A2. Please click here to view a FAQ addressing this subject. As indicated therein, Aero Marine Services has a wealth of experience with Octopus drives and interfacing them with Raymarine autopilots. They should be able to answer any questions which you may have concerning these drives.
Reference URL's