Raymarine forum

Full Version: [CA11] CAM210 wiring and mounting advice
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I am trying to connect the CAM210 to an axiom 12. I have secured a 35 ft RJ45 to device net cable but It looks as though that is not going to be able to do the POE that way.

It looks as though I have two options
1. hard wire it and use the cable I have to get the data to the MFD and then hardware the camera 12vdc lead
2. Run the existing cable to a poe device and take another cable out to the CAM210.

Another issue I foresee is how to get the connection madeup. My selected location would be in my hard bimini (has a targa built into the aft part that allows for wire to go through). There is a waterproof connector for the RJ45 included in the camera box. This thing is about 4-5 inches long. It would look awful if this was outdoor, and I cant make the connection inside the targa as I can not reach it. Assuming the leads are supposed to go through the large [censored] on the mount but can not tell whether this is supposed to be caulked wih some UV4000 or something.

Thinking that a large [censored] under the mount will allow me to make the RF45 connection and thread it into the targa. Any input would be helpful.
Welcome to the Raymarine Forum firstlight38,

Q1. I have secured a 35 ft RJ45 to device net cable
A1. Is it possible that you meant that you have secured a 35' RJ45 (M) to RayNet (F) Cable?

Q2. It looks as though I have two options
1. hard wire it and use the cable I have to get the data to the MFD and then hardware the camera 12vdc lead
2. Run the existing cable to a poe device and take another cable out to the CAM210.
A2. These are certainly options. However, as the CAM210 features a RJ45 (M) dongle, most will connect the supplied waterproof coupler to the dongle and then connect the other end of the coupler to an appropriate length of quality shielded CAT6 patch cable. The other end of the CAT6 patch cable will be joined the POE end of a POE injector or POE Switch (installed in a convenient, dry location). The non-powered socket of the POE injector or POE Switch will in turn be connected to the MFD or HS5 RayNet Network Switch via an appropriate length of RayNet (F) to RJ45 (M) Cable.

Q3. Questions regarding the mount.
A3. While the mount's fasteners should have sealant applied to them, the supplied mount is otherwise not designed to make a watertight seal against the mounting surface. Typically, cable gland would be installed adjacent to the camera and the cable would then pass through the cable gland. As this is an application specific question, perhaps one of the other members will offers some thought concerning how to tidy up the camera's installation. Such installation techniques are the value added which experienced Certified Raymarine Installers can bring to bear.
Q1. I have secured a 35 ft RJ45 to device net cable
A1. Is it possible that you meant that you have secured a 35' RJ45 (M) to RayNet (F) Cable?----- YES

Q2. It looks as though I have two options
A2. These are certainly options. However, as the CAM210 features a RJ45 (M) dongle, most will connect the supplied waterproof coupler to the dongle and then connect the other end of the coupler to an appropriate length of quality shielded CAT6 patch cable. The other end of the CAT6 patch cable will be joined the POE end of a POE injector or POE Switch (installed in a convenient, dry location). The non-powered socket of the POE injector or POE Switch will in turn be connected to the MFD or HS5 RayNet Network Switch via an appropriate length of RayNet (F) to RJ45 (M) Cable.

The cable I have will go from the MFD to either the Injector OR directly to the RJ45 adapter (depending on if its POE or remote powered)
firstlight38,

Q. The cable I have will go from the MFD to either the Injector OR directly to the RJ45 adapter (depending on if its POE or remote powered)
A. Correct and noted.
Reference URL's