Raymarine forum

Full Version: [CA11] New chartplotter and autopilot for yacht
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I am about to purchase a 10m yacht which has Raymarine i70 display, A50 plotter and no autopilot. I am told that there is a transducer on the boat (as part of either the A50 or the i70 display), but I have yet to see this so am not sure about its type or specifications. I want to upgrade to an Axiom 7 chartplotter and install an autopilot.

Can I simply unplug the A50 and plug in and mount the Axiom 7 or is the installation more complex than that? Do I need any other equipment for the Axiom 7 to work, specifically a particular type of transducer and separate GPS?

Is there much advantage for a yacht in the Down Vision option? It seems to be used mainly for fishing. Also, some people have told me that Down Vision does not work well on yachts because the keel distorts the signal. Is this correct? (The yacht has a 1.5m fin keel.) If I was to go with the Down Vision option is there other equipment that needs to be installed as well?

For the autopilot my options appear to be the Evolution Wheel Pilot system pack or the Evolution Autopilot pack with Type 1 mechanical linear drive. Is this correct given that the yacht has mechanical wheel steering?

As the first option is about half the cost of the second, I would like to know if there is much difference in performance and durability? I have also been told that a wheel pilot is less precise and more likely to disengage in moderate seas and I will be sailing in open waters (although I run for cover if it looks like getting too adventurous!) Do they last as long as each other?

I assume that the installation of the wheel pilot is easier, but is there much difference?

Thanks.

AlanC.
Welcome to the Raymarine Forum Alan,

Please click here to view a FAQ addressing the subject of replacing an A-Series Classic MFD with an Axiom MFD. Please additionally note that unlike the A50D, the A50 did not support fishfinding features and as such would not have been directly interfaced to a fishfinder transducer.

Q1. Can I simply unplug the A50 and plug in and mount the Axiom 7 or is the installation more complex than that?
A1. Negative. Please refer to the sections of the above listed FAQ addressing power, SeaTalkng/NMEA 2000, and NMEA 0183.

Q2. Do I need any other equipment for the Axiom 7 to work, specifically a particular type of transducer and separate GPS?
A2. Should the MFD not be installed in a location affording it an unobstructed view of the skies overhead, then it may be necessary to interface a Raystar 150 GPS Sensor to the system. The latter would simply be interfaced to a spur socket within the system's powered and properly terminated SeaTalkng / NMEA 2000 backbone.

Q3. Is there much advantage for a yacht in the Down Vision option? It seems to be used mainly for fishing. Also, some people have told me that Down Vision does not work well on yachts because the keel distorts the signal. Is this correct? (The yacht has a 1.5m fin keel.). If I was to go with the Down Vision option is there other equipment that needs to be installed as well?
A3. I would typically recommend that those seeking fishfinding features install a CPT-S transducer and that it be located forward of the keel. The resulting fishfinder imaging can be useful in not only monitoring bottom trending, but also in determining bottom hardness and locating bottom structures. CPT-S transducers may be interfaced to an Axiom 7 DV MFD or may instead be interfaced a CP100 DownVision Sounder Module which in turn has been interfaced to any model of Axiom MFD (no internal fishfinder circuitry required). The latter option is applicable to MFDs which are installed in binnacle pods, the support tubing of which will not accommodate passing the fishfinder transducer's plug (fishfinder transducer cables should not be cut, splice, or otherwise modified).

Q4. For the autopilot my options appear to be the Evolution Wheel Pilot system pack or the Evolution Autopilot pack with Type 1 mechanical linear drive. Is this correct given that the yacht has mechanical wheel steering?
A4. What is the weight of the vessel?

Q5. As the first option is about half the cost of the second, I would like to know if there is much difference in performance and durability? I have also been told that a wheel pilot is less precise and more likely to disengage in moderate seas and I will be sailing in open waters (although I run for cover if it looks like getting too adventurous!) Do they last as long as each other?
A5. Wheel pilots are generally considered adequate for nearshore and light weather operation. Should the vessel offshore, in strong weather conditions, or if seeking the greatest durability and performance in an autopilot, then a system featuring a below decks drive (ex. mechanical linear drive, hydraulic linear drive, etc.) would be recommended.
Thanks for your assistance Chuck. I hadn't really understood about the different backbones, but am beginning to.

You asked about the weight of the yacht in my question about autopilot selection. The displacement is 5200kg, which seems to be well within the limits for the Evolution Autopilot pack with Type 1 mechanical linear drive. I think I would prefer this to the wheel drive.

AlanC.
Alan,

Q. The displacement is 5200kg, which seems to be well within the limits for the Evolution Autopilot pack with Type 1 mechanical linear drive. I think I would prefer this to the wheel drive.
A. Good choice.
Reference URL's