Raymarine forum

Full Version: [CA11] AIS integration with GPS
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I have an E165 MFD that is also installed with an external RS130 GPS. I do understand from the threads that the MFD internal GPS is not an option for the AIS650 , but I do have the RS130 external that is connected to the MFD via seatalk network. The current system also has an evolution Auto Pilot installed on this network.
Is it still necessary to install the AIS650 with a separate GPS antennae?

If so, does this new GPS unit antennae need to be installed within sky sight?
Welcome to the Raymarine Forum pressonjh,

Q1. Is it still necessary to install the AIS650 with a separate GPS antennae?
A1. Yes. Class B AIS transceivers are exclusively dependent upon their own internal GPS receiver to determine the vessel's position, COG, SOG, date, and time. The internal GPS receiver in these Class B AIS transceiver are often (and in the case of Raymarine's Class B AIS transceivers) dependent upon an external GPS antenna (not to be confused with an external GPS sensor (ex. Raystar 130, Raystar 150, AR200, etc.) to supply GPS signal to the Class B AIS receiver's internal GPS receiver.

Q2. If so, does this new GPS unit antennae need to be installed within sky sight?
A2. Raymarine's external GPS antennas and external GPS receivers are designed to be installed in a location affording them an unobstructed view of the skies overhead.
Reference URL's