Raymarine forum
[CA] [CA11] Autopilot w/Axiom - No Control Head, No EV-1 - Printable Version

+- Raymarine forum (http://forum.raymarine.com)
+-- Forum: Raymarine Forums (/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Autopilots (/forumdisplay.php?fid=23)
+--- Thread: [CA] [CA11] Autopilot w/Axiom - No Control Head, No EV-1 (/showthread.php?tid=10152)

[CA11] Autopilot w/Axiom - No Control Head, No EV-1 - zigzag930 - 12-19-19 09:08 AM

I would like a definitive answer on installation of a new autopilot on my BW 210 Outrage. It has a single Verado 200 (with power steering).

So here are my questions:

1) Does the Axiom (9") provide the functions of a stand alone control head? If so, I would think that a control head is NOT necessary.

2) I do have Radar on the boat, which does not need a heading sensor. So naturally, I'm hoping that I can install the autopilot without a EV-1 and get the COG, etc information from the Axiom.

If both of the answer to these questions is: Not needed, then I could effectively create an autopilot system with just a ACU-100 and hydraulic pump (plus some hydraulic hoses for the Verado).

I think the answer to #1 above is: control head not needed. Not sure about #2, but can't understand what information the EV1 would provide that isn't already available on the Axiom, especially and speeds above 2-3 knots.

RE: [CA11] Autopilot w/Axiom - No Control Head, No EV-1 - Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator - 12-19-19 12:13 PM

Welcome to the Raymarine Forum zigzag930,

Q1) Does the Axiom (9") provide the functions of a stand alone control head? If so, I would think that a control head is NOT necessary.
A1) Unless one desires to use the autopilot's fishing patterns or power steering mode features, no autopilot control head is required. Power steering mode requires that a p70RS or p70R autopilot control head be interfaced to the system. Fishing patterns may be used with either a p70S, p70RS, p70, or p70R autopilot control head.

Q2) I do have Radar on the boat, which does not need a heading sensor. So naturally, I'm hoping that I can install the autopilot without a EV-1 and get the COG, etc information from the Axiom.
A2) Raymarine autopilots have been and continue to be designed to steer to steer based upon heading, not COG, data. Raymarine's Evolution autopilots require an EV-1 or EV-2 CCU to be interfaced to the system. These devices function not only as the system's heading sensing device, but also as the system's course computer.

Q3. If both of the answer to these questions is: Not needed, then I could effectively create an autopilot system with just a ACU-100 and hydraulic pump (plus some hydraulic hoses for the Verado).
A3. This would constitute and incomplete autopilot system. An ACU-100 is also not used in Verado applications. Like other hydraulically steered vessel's the ACU is determined by model of hydraulic pump which must be installed. Please click here to view a FAQ addressing this subject.

RE: [CA11] Autopilot w/Axiom - No Control Head, No EV-1 - zigzag930 - 12-19-19 02:42 PM

Thanks for your answers. Not sure I am clear on two points:

1) What is meant by "power steering mode feature" in your answer to Q1
2) I did look at the pump chart and thought the Verado would use a type .5 pump. There is nothing specific that says "Verado", so it appears that is the correct pump and the ACU-100 would be associated with that pump as well. What is the correct pump for a Verado?

RE: [CA11] Autopilot w/Axiom - No Control Head, No EV-1 - Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator - 12-19-19 04:38 PM

zigzag930,

Q1. What is meant by "power steering mode feature" in your answer to Q1
A1. When power steering mode is enabled via the p70RS/p70R autopilot control head, then the control head's rotary knob will function like a steering well to turn the rudder/outboard/outdrive and hold it in that position until command to another position.

Q2. I did look at the pump chart and thought the Verado would use a type .5 pump. There is nothing specific that says "Verado", so it appears that is the correct pump and the ACU-100 would be associated with that pump as well. What is the correct pump for a Verado?
A2. How many engines are installed onboard? What is the cubic capacity of the steering cylinder(s) of the engine(s) ... you will need to examine the steering ram(s) or consult with the boat's manufacturer. If more than one steering cylinder has been installed, please indicate whether they have been plumbed in series or in parallel.

RE: [CA11] Autopilot w/Axiom - No Control Head, No EV-1 - zigzag930 - 12-19-19 05:36 PM

Single outboard setup, with single cylinder. Not sure of cubic capacity. Is this boat specific or motor specific? This is a Boston Whaler 210 Outrage with single Mercury Verado 200 if that helps.

RE: [CA11] Autopilot w/Axiom - No Control Head, No EV-1 - Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator - 12-20-19 09:44 AM

zigzag930,

Q. Single outboard setup, with single cylinder. Not sure of cubic capacity. Is this boat specific or motor specific?
A. Unfortunately, we would do not have information concerning the steering rams installed by boat manufacturers for any specific model. If you have access to the boat, then examination of the steering ram should reveal a plate/label identifying the make & mode of the steering ram and its cubic capacity. The boat manufacturer may likewise be able to supply you with this information. If supplied with either of these pieces of information, then we would be able to specify the proper Evolution autopilot system pack or individual Evolution autopilot components for the boat.