Raymarine forum
[TG] ACU-100 / EV-1 Locations - Printable Version

+- Raymarine forum (http://forum.raymarine.com)
+-- Forum: Raymarine Forums (/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Autopilots (/forumdisplay.php?fid=23)
+--- Thread: [TG] ACU-100 / EV-1 Locations (/showthread.php?tid=10326)

ACU-100 / EV-1 Locations - jrock836 - 01-17-20 06:50 PM

Quick question.. Will mounting the ACU100 next to the EV1 be okay, or will the ACU100 likely cause magnetic interference to the EV1?

RE: ACU-100 / EV-1 Locations - Tom - Raymarine - Moderator - 01-19-20 07:32 PM

Hello jrock836,

You shouldn't do this. The ACU won't have much of a magnetic field when in Standby, but will have a larger (and, importantly, changing) magnetic field when it's handling larger amounts of current whilst the pilot is active. The likely effect is a fluctuating heading error on the EV whenever the pilot drives, which will then result in the pilot driving to try to correct the change in (apparent) heading and so on - a feedback loop which will result in very unpredictable pilot steering.

Regards,
Tom

RE: ACU-100 / EV-1 Locations - jrock836 - 01-20-20 06:57 PM

(01-19-20 07:32 PM)Tom - Raymarine - Moderator Wrote:  Hello jrock836,

You shouldn't do this. The ACU won't have much of a magnetic field when in Standby, but will have a larger (and, importantly, changing) magnetic field when it's handling larger amounts of current whilst the pilot is active. The likely effect is a fluctuating heading error on the EV whenever the pilot drives, which will then result in the pilot driving to try to correct the change in (apparent) heading and so on - a feedback loop which will result in very unpredictable pilot steering.

Regards,
Tom

Thanks Tom, that's what I figured, but I started second guessing myself when I saw the photo in this link. PracticalSailer.com gave the photo credit to Raymarine haha..

https://www.practical-sailor.com/marine-electronics/ev-1-system-check

RE: ACU-100 / EV-1 Locations - Tom - Raymarine - Moderator - 01-21-20 01:10 AM

Hmmm! Personally I wouldn't recommend that, but installations on boats are always about compromises and you have to install where you can. We had a test boat a while back where we had a choice of mounting close to the windscreen-wiper motor, close to the anchor well, close to the pilot pump or close to the 2x radars.