Raymarine forum
[CA] [CA11] Help with system integration on my sailboat - Printable Version

+- Raymarine forum (http://forum.raymarine.com)
+-- Forum: Raymarine Forums (/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Networking / System Integration (/forumdisplay.php?fid=21)
+--- Thread: [CA] [CA11] Help with system integration on my sailboat (/showthread.php?tid=10376)

[CA11] Help with system integration on my sailboat - Awakening - 01-25-20 10:35 AM

Hi all,
Presently these are the electronics on my boat;
ST 60 Tridata
i60 Wind
P70 Autopilot (have old ST60 autopilot)
RC435 GPS

First thing I would like to do is to be able to get the true wind on my i60 instrument. I believe this can be accomplished by installing a E22158 converter between my STng bus and the tridata instrument. Please let me know if this is correct.
The second thing I would like to be able to do is to get the autopilot to navigate to a waypoint. Just wondering if I can accomplish this by utilizing the old ST60 autopilot to convert the NMEA 0183 data from the GPS to Seatalk and adding this to my Seatalk bus, which in turn is connected to my STng bus.
I hope this makes sense to someone out there. Also I am not against purchasing a new(er) gps that may do this for me.
Thanks in advance,
Trevor (Awakening)

RE: [CA11] Help with system integration on my sailboat - Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator - 01-27-20 02:37 PM

Welcome to the Raymarine Forum Trevor,

I need to make some corrections and clarifications with regard to your system's equipment list.
- ST 60 Tridata ... this is actually a ST50+ Tridata instrument.
- P70 Autopilot (have old ST60 autopilot) ... Raymarine has not produced a product named ST60 autopilot. What model of autopilot course computer has the p70 autopilot control head been interfaced to?

The answer to the latter question will determine how the entire set of Raymarine components within the system should be interfaced.

RE: [CA11] Help with system integration on my sailboat - Awakening - 01-27-20 05:03 PM

Wow, I really messed up badly on this post even though I tried to do my research.
After further review, here is the corrected items;
My old autopilot appears to be the ST4000+ system. I removed the control head and what i presume to be the gyro when I installed the new system.
I installed the P70 control head along with the Evolution EV1 AHRS unit and Evolution ACU100.
I really hope I got this right this time.
Trevor

RE: [CA11] Help with system integration on my sailboat - Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator - 01-28-20 09:50 AM

Trevor,

Regarding the ST50+ Tridata instrument, SeaTalk to SeaTalkng Converter will need to be installed as a backbone component within the powered and properly terminated SeaTalkng / NMEA 2000 backbone which has been installed to interface the Evolution autopilot components to one another. The ST50+ Tridata instrument will be interfaced to a D244 SeaTalk Junction Block, which in turn will be interfaced to the SeaTalk (yellow) socket of the SeaTalk to SeaTalkng Converter via the SeaTalk to SeaTalkng Converter Cable supplied with the E22158 SeaTalk to SeaTalkng Converter Kit.

The i60 Wind instrument shown within your photo of the helm should be interface to one of the spur (white) white sockets of the backbone.

Regarding how to interface the Evolution autopilot to a chartplotting system featuring a NMEA 0183 communications interface, a NMEA 0183 to NMEA 2000 data bridging device (ex. Actisense NGW-1-ISO, etc.) will need to be interfaced to a spur (white) socket within the backbone. The NMEA 0183 output leads of the NMEA 0183 chartplotting product (consult the chartplotting product's owner's manual) will then be interfaced to the NMEA 0183 input leads / terminals of the NMEA 0183 to NMEA 2000 data bridging device.

RE: [CA11] Help with system integration on my sailboat - Awakening - 01-28-20 03:08 PM

Thanks Chuck,

First step into tying in the ST50+ Tridata instrument to the wind instrument seems quite straight forward without a large outlaying of money. My only question in why the use of the D244 SeaTalk Junction Block? Would the same result not be accomplished by just installing the supplied cable from the converter directly into the ST50+ to the SeaTalk to SeaTalkng converter?

On the second part of tying the chartplotter into the autopilot...I think with the cost of the Actisense NGW-1-ISO converter, I think my money would be better spent updating the chartplotter. I didn't realize I would require such an expensive converter.
Thanks again for all your help. Very much appreciated.

Cheers,

Trevor Marsh

RE: [CA11] Help with system integration on my sailboat - Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator - 01-28-20 04:18 PM

Trevor,

Q1. First step into tying in the ST50+ Tridata instrument to the wind instrument seems quite straight forward without a large outlaying of money. My only question in why the use of the D244 SeaTalk Junction Block? Would the same result not be accomplished by just installing the supplied cable from the converter directly into the ST50+ to the SeaTalk to SeaTalkng converter?
A1. Whenever possible, interfacing recommendations which do not involve splicing cables are recommended. The SeaTalk to SeaTalkng Converter Cable supplied with the SeaTalk to SeaTalkng Converter Kit features the press-fit, flat 3-pin plug that was introduced with the ST40/ST60 instruments. In contrast, the ST50/ST50+ instruments were designed to support SeaTalk cables featuring a round SeaTalk (F) plug. Raymarine had offered the D188 0.3m SeaTalk Flat to SeaTalk Round (F) Cable to permit ST50+ instruments to be interfaced to products featuring SeaTalk Flat sockets. The D244 SeaTalk Junction Block would be used to join the two cables. Should the D244 be packed with dielectric paste, this may provide better long term reliability. Alternatively, the SeaTalk to SeaTalkng Converter Cable may be spliced to the D188 0.3m SeaTalk Flat to SeaTalk Round (F) Cable by simply matching the leads within each cable. Marine grade electrical heat activated adhesive lined shrink tubing should be used in conjunction with any such splices. In the end, the choice is yours.