Raymarine forum
[CA] [CA11] P70 & i70 connection issue - Printable Version

+- Raymarine forum (http://forum.raymarine.com)
+-- Forum: Raymarine Forums (/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Autopilots (/forumdisplay.php?fid=23)
+--- Thread: [CA] [CA11] P70 & i70 connection issue (/showthread.php?tid=10470)

[CA11] P70 & i70 connection issue - biglad777 - 02-05-20 08:17 AM

I have purchased P70 i70 control heads and plan to mount in cockpit, from newly installed STng system.

Both instruments have only one STng connection point on rear. From this do I assume that each instrument has to be directly fed from 5 way connector or from t-piece (backbone)? I ask mainly as a lot of available schematic drawings show the compatible instruments looped from one another...misleading and I concede a bit of a school boy error on my part if so!

proposed schematic attached hopefully giving some clarity.

thanks, Phil.

RE: [CA11] P70 & i70 connection issue - Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator - 02-05-20 12:37 PM

Welcome to the Raymarine Forum Phil,

Diagram comments:

- No backbone power insertion spur is indicated within the diagram. It is considered to be a best installation practice to not power the backbone from an autopilot. Instead, it is recommended that the backbone be powered via a SeaTalkng Power Cable which will be connected to a spur socket positioned at the approximate midpoint of the backbone's LEN load.

- It appears that you have shown a C80 MFD to be be connected to a spur socket within the backbone ... this is not permissible. A C80 may be interfaced to the system via the SeaTalk (yellow) socket of a SeaTalk to SeaTalkng Converter. If the system features a GPS Sensor supporting SeaTalk communications, then it would be recommended that the GPS sensor's cable be spliced to a SeaTalk Cable having a press-fit flat 3-pin plug which in turn will be interfaced to a D244 SeaTalk Junction Block. Similarly, a SeaTalk Cable having press-fit flat 3-pin plugs on each end will be used to connect the C80 MFD's SeaTalk port to the D244 SeaTalk Junction Block. The latter cable will severed at a convenient location and then spliced back together ... leaving the cable's red leads un-spliced. The cable's red leads will instead not be used and will be insulated to prevent shorting. Finally, the SeaTalk to SeaTalk Converter Cable supplied with the SeaTalk to SeaTalk to SeaTalkng Converter will be used to connect the D244 SeaTalk Junction Block to the SeaTalk (yellow) socket of the SeaTalk to SeaTalkng converter.

- All products having a SeaTalkng communications interface should be updated via the C120W with the latest available Raymarine product software updates.

- Please click here to view a FAQ addressing interfacing a C-Series Classic MFD (C70, C80, C120) with another MFD.

Q1. Both instruments have only one STng connection point on rear. From this do I assume that each instrument has to be directly fed from 5 way connector or from t-piece (backbone)?
A1. Correct.

RE: [CA11] P70 & i70 connection issue - biglad777 - 02-05-20 06:20 PM

Chuck,

thanks for the detailed reply. The C80 is part of the original system consisting of the 5 way ST to STng and GPS via yellow connection point. I plan to add the new backbone system plus P70 i70 ACU200 and C120. I read in both instrument manuals that STng systems under 16 metres can be powered at any position, it wasn't an assumption on my part. Happy to power at best LEN position as you suggested.
I will extend the backbone system to P70 & i70 instruments also

regards, Phil

RE: [CA11] P70 & i70 connection issue - Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator - 02-06-20 08:18 AM

You're welcome.