Raymarine forum
evolution autopilot - Printable Version

+- Raymarine forum (http://forum.raymarine.com)
+-- Forum: Raymarine Forums (/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Autopilots (/forumdisplay.php?fid=23)
+--- Thread: evolution autopilot (/showthread.php?tid=1225)

Pages: 1 2

evolution autopilot - gatotom - 06-22-16 11:48 AM

I want to add evolution autopilot to my sabre 38 mk 2.

I want to install ev-100 sail but my concern is the displacement of boat is right at the limit of ev-100. If I install and it struggles could I add the mechanical rotary or mechanical linear which works with the ev-200 to the ev-100 system?

Thanks for your time.

tom

RE: evolution autopilot - Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator - 06-22-16 12:39 PM

Welcome to the Raymarine Forum Tom,

When seeking an autopilot for a sailing vessel, the fully loaded displacement of the vessel is used in determining which autopilot should be ordered. To determine the approximate displacement of the fully loaded vessel, add 20% to the manufacturer's specified displacement. Should the fully loaded displacement be near the upper end of the displacement range for an autopilot, but within the range of an autopilot with the next higher rating, then it is strongly recommended that the autopilot with the next higher rating be installed ... especially when considering offshore sailing. It is not possible to use an ACU-100 with a mechanical rotary drive unit or mechanical linear drive unit.

RE: evolution autopilot - gatotom - 06-22-16 01:42 PM

So, understood, will get the ev-200 sail. My next question is the drive unit. If I get the lineal unit that gets attached directly to the top of the rudder shaft?

RE: evolution autopilot - gatotom - 06-22-16 01:56 PM

so, understood, will get ev-200 sail. The question is drive unit, if I get mechanical linear, that gets attached directly to the top of rudder shaft? A mechanical rotary would get attached on the floor in cockpit by wheel with a belt ?

RE: evolution autopilot - Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator - 06-22-16 02:33 PM

Tom,

Linear drives are not designed to be attached the rudder post. Instead, the linear drive will be attached the rudder quadrant or tiller arm, which in turn is attached to the rudder post. Raymarine no longer offers the belt drive which you have referred to. A mechanical rotary drive available for power and sailboat systems that can be driven from the helm position through a chain and sprocket (e.g. cable and rod steering system).

RE: evolution autopilot - gatotom - 06-22-16 03:33 PM

so, I have the typical Edison wheel and cable thru the pedestal. So then the rotary drive would be attached to the cable under the cockpit floor?

RE: evolution autopilot - Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator - 06-22-16 03:51 PM

Tom,

A mechanical rotary drive is not applicable to the pedestal which you have described. a linear drive would be used in this instance.

RE: evolution autopilot - gatotom - 09-12-16 12:07 PM

Chuck, I installed a EV-1 sensor core and plugged the sea talk spur cable into MFD, installed the sensor core under the helm seat with arrow pointing forward.

Can I just plug the spur into sensor core or do I have to get a sea talk power cable and a 5 post terminal to make this work for radar overlay? I am asking because I got two different answers to this question, one guy told me plug sea talk spur into MFD and the other end into sensor core and I am good to go. The other guy told me to get the starter kit with sea talk power cable to make it work.

Thanks for your time. Tom

RE: evolution autopilot - Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator - 09-12-16 01:09 PM

Tom,

The EV-1 sensor core directly connected to the MFD's SeaTalkng spur socket as you have suggested. Instead, the MFD, EV-1 Sensor Core, p70 Autopilot Control Head, and ACU-200 are each designed to be interfaced as individual spurs to a powered and properly terminated SeaTalkng backbone. It is not recommended that the ACU-200 be used to power the SeaTalkng backbone.

RE: evolution autopilot - scottor - 09-12-16 11:05 PM

Hi Chuck, I just completed the installation of the evolution auto pilot system in our 30 ft power boat, the system included an existing E140W and a GPS, a new EV-1, ACU-200, p70R and the hyd pump to the existing seastar hyd steering. I was told and it was reinforce in the installation instructions that the ACU-200 did power the backbone (see diagram page 28 for the EV-1 & ACU-200 booklet). If an additional power supply is needed where should it be added? Closer to the MFD? I have yet to do any sea trials to test the system.

Thank you for your help, Scott