Raymarine forum
GPS not Working on eS127 and eS128 today - Printable Version

+- Raymarine forum (http://forum.raymarine.com)
+-- Forum: Raymarine Forums (/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Multifunction Displays (/forumdisplay.php?fid=120)
+--- Thread: GPS not Working on eS127 and eS128 today (/showthread.php?tid=1296)

Pages: 1 2

GPS not Working on eS127 and eS128 today - JohnBRI - 07-01-16 02:41 PM

Have a 128 and 127 networked together. Powered up this am before leaving OB for ACT and worked for a couple of minutes then Lat and long coordinates started changing rapidly then no gps. The 128 is master and I changed that to 127. Occasionally, like every 2 or 3 hours satellites Are found and it works for a few. Minutes then gradually each sat is lost. I unplugged the network cable going into the 127 and tried to operate independently as Raymarine tech had said not to connect Sea Talk cable between them already.

Need some help figuring this out as I am on vacation in Nantucket and will be going back to Rhode Island mid next week. Thanks.

RE: GPS not Working on ES178 and ES129 today - Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator - 07-05-16 12:32 PM

Welcome to the Raymarine Forum John,

Are these MFDs installed in a location affording them an unobstructed view of the skies overhead? If not, has an external GPS sensor been interfaced to the system ... if uncertain, then please click here to view a FAQ providing information concerning how to list the devices which have been interfaced to your system.

RE: GPS not Working on ES128 and ES127 today - JohnBRI - 07-05-16 01:50 PM

Hi Chuck,

Thanks for the suggestions on the FAQ. I'm running software version 17.45 on both MFDs which I updated about a month ago. I spent several hours with Seaport on the phone (great company) who did the install. I removed the 127 from the 128 network and was able to get it running doing a reset, however, only when the external GA150 antenna is removed. Had to do the same with the ES128, remove external antenna then reset. If I connect up either external antenna then GPS does not work and I have to do a reset.

One of the Raymarine techs had told the installer when he called in on another GPS related issue to always choose "internal" antenna even with the external connected as the GA150 does not have the necessary smarts to be used as totally external GPS antenna. Just to verify can you confirm that to be accurate (setting only to internal)?

I have everything networked together again but ES128 will shut down and then start back up once as soon as I select "Chart". It does not reset a second time. I am running Navionics chart software and card is in the ES128 which is the master. I have no issue with the ES127 resetting.

Appreciate the help. Thank you.

RE: GPS not Working on ES178 and ES129 today - Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator - 07-05-16 02:12 PM

John,

It was good to speak with you earlier today. Per our discussion, the Select Devices list may be used to determine which MFD has been interfaced to the SeaTalkng backbone and correspondingly, which device should be designated as the system's Data Master MFD. Next, we discussed how to identify the serial numbers of the MFDs within your system and how to use the Data Sources feature to manually select which of the system's MFDs will be designated as the system's source for GPS data. If using the GA150 GPS Antenna, then the MFD to which it has been interfaced should be designated as the system's source for GPS data. Finally, we discussed how to use the HDOP and EPHE fields within the GPS Status dialog to assess whether the system was acquiring a quality GPS position FIX from the selected GPS data source.

Finally, regarding the stability issue reported with the Chart application. Such stability issues may be caused by any of the following:
- corrupted/faulty cartography data stored on the chart card ... update each of the type's of cartography stored on the chart card (ex. Navionics Freshest Data update, etc.)
- the media on which the cartography data is stored is faulty ... fault isolate by testing the MFD with another chart card (ex. LightHouse Charts, Navionics+, etc.)
- the MFD's memory card reader has suffered a failure ... test ability to save screen image to the microSD memory card using each of the MFD's memory card reader slots ... any MFD having a faulty memory card reader will need to be serviced by Raymarine’s Product Repair Center
- Poor Ethernet communications between the MFDs ... may be caused by faulty communications cables or faulty Ethernet Network port of one of the MFDs ... recommend having the installer visit the vessel to isolate the problem.

RE: GPS not Working on ES178 and ES129 today - FriscoBW - 07-06-16 11:14 AM

Chuck,

For two seasons I had a C127 and received GPS fix regularly. This season I've had problems with the GPS fix on my C127 and Es128. I recently bought the RS 130 to hopefully resolve this issue. Is there something related to the software update or other issues that would cause this issue? I also have a CP470 relatively close to my MFD. Could this be causing interference patterns. Let me know your thoughts.

Both MFD are mounted on a 2006 270 outrage in the dash.

Thanks,
Bill

RE: GPS not Working on ES178 and ES129 today - Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator - 07-06-16 01:01 PM

Welcome to the Raymarine Forum Bill,

As specified to John, when the system features more than on source of any specific type of data (in this case GPS data), the Data Sources feature must be executed on the system's Data Master MFD to manually specify which data source will be used by the system for each type of data for which more than one source has been provided. In this case, it is recommended that the Data Sources feature be used to manually specify that the Raystar 130 GPS Sensor be used as the system's source for GPS data.

RE: GPS not Working on ES178 and ES129 today - JohnBRI - 07-26-16 02:22 PM

Chuck,

Attached are the files you requested in PM. Please confirm you received and they are in correct format.

John

RE: GPS not Working on ES178 and ES129 today - Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator - 07-26-16 03:53 PM

Thanks John,

The requested files appear to be exactly as had been requested. These will be attached to the problem report sent to our engineering team.

RE: GPS not Working on ES178 and ES129 today - JohnBRI - 08-05-16 08:59 AM

Morning Chuck. Wondering if there is any update yet from your engineering team? I want to take another trip soon but looking for some confidence building feedback. Thank you. John

RE: GPS not Working on eS127 and eS128 today - Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator - 08-08-16 02:30 PM

No feedback yet. We will have a meeting on Wednesday to discuss. Did you have the supplied Raystar 130 GPS Sensor installed, and if so, did you then configure the internal GPS sensors within the MFDs to OFF? If so, how has the system been performing since? Did you use the Data Sources feature to specify that the Raystar 130 GPS Sensor will be used for GPS data by the system?