Raymarine forum
Sonar Logs - Dragonfly - Printable Version

+- Raymarine forum (http://forum.raymarine.com)
+-- Forum: Raymarine Forums (/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Fishfinders (/forumdisplay.php?fid=25)
+--- Thread: Sonar Logs - Dragonfly (/showthread.php?tid=1648)

Sonar Logs - Dragonfly - fallguy1000 - 08-15-16 02:47 PM

Does Raymarine support any questions about Sonar Logs?

We are able to keep sonar logs on the device via the software and we can upload them to Navionics. But is the only way to get the log information to be usable on a Dragonfly to submit it to Navionics for a map change and then to re-download it from Navionics once the data becomes public? The videos show the map rewrites happening instantly for immediate use, but it didn't work that way onboard my boat at all this weekend.

There are a few reefs I fish that I've never seen anyone fishing and frankly I don't think many people know they exist, so I'm debating with myself about providing the sonar logs to others. Some of my sonar logs would be really great map improvements for everyone, so part of me wants to parse or pick and choose which logs to submit and which ones to erase. Is there any way to review or edit these logs using any Raymarine software like RayTech Navigator. Or is it basically submit a log or don't? Thanks.

RE: Sonar Logs - Dragonfly - Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator - 08-16-16 03:32 PM

Welcome to the Raymarine Forum fallguy1000,

When using Navionics cartography, Raymarine's Dragonfly and a/c/e/eS/gS-Series MFDs support creation of Sonar Logs. These logs are designed to be uploaded to Navionics the Navionics website. After processing by Navionics, the uploaded logs may be incorporated by Navionics into updated Navionics Nautical and Sonar Charts (public). The chart card would later be freshened with the updated cartography via Navionics Freshest Data updates.

Raymarine's more capable a/c/e/eS/gS-Series MFDs operating with v17.45 or later software and using Navionics cartography will support Navionics Live Update, permitting the MFDs to display logged bathymetric data as shown here: https://youtu.be/8XutSXTI4GA

RE: Sonar Logs - Dragonfly - fallguy1000 - 08-17-16 04:06 AM

This is from the Navionics website (and I am using Dragonfly Pro)

"Owners of Dragonfly PRO 4 and 5 should not follow the process above but instead use SonarChart™ Live. They can do sonar log collection with the free SonarChart™ Live feature embedded within the Boating app while enjoying real-time contours displayed split-screen with CHIRP DownVision and fishfinder. SonarChart™ Live is an excellent way to monitor the improvements your survey will bring to the SonarChart™ because contours are instantly seen while you’re collecting sonar logs. You may check your logs processing status and see them on the map. The new SonarChart™ resulting from your and others’ sonar logs, checked and interpolated with existing Navionics data, will be available after about one week to the whole community on plotter, mobile and PC."

Confusing enough?

RE: Sonar Logs - Dragonfly - Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator - 08-17-16 08:21 AM

fallguy1000,

As has been specified within the quote which you have referenced from the Navionics website, it is the Navionics Boating app in which the SonarChart Live feature may be exercised and viewed, not the Dragonfly display. The Wi-Fi equipped Dragonfly Pro display would be responsible for supplying the Navionics Boating app with real time sonar data to permit use of the SonarChart Live feature within the Navionics Boating app. Accordingly, the Dragonfly Pro display's Wi-Fi must be configured ON and Sonar Logging feature must be enabled.

RE: Sonar Logs - Dragonfly - fallguy1000 - 08-17-16 09:15 AM

Okay, lightbulb moment I think. If I have the Navionics Boating app installed on an IPhone, for example, the app would get updated live by the Dragonfly. But no updates would occur to the Navionics charting that displays on the Dragonfly. Forgive me, I was so excited about all these features and the Dragonfly's ability to output the SONAR to an Ipad, that I didn't realize the Dragonfly can also output chart information to another app. It sounds like the Navionics Boating app and the Wifish app are competitors, if you will, because it looks like the Navionics app will display the chart and sonar and downvision. But the Wifish will not display updated charting. This is sort of unprecedented stuff, seeing two businesses work closely together to produce the very best product, even within the competitive environment. A little confusing for the consumer, but well worth it.

And my reefs appear to be public information if I chart them in the Navionics Boating app, so the only way to keep them secret will be to turn off the app if I fish them or even run over them.

Thanks for your patience and total professionalism on this matter. I greatly appreciate it.

RE: Sonar Logs - Dragonfly - Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator - 08-17-16 09:42 AM

fallguy1000,

Q: "I didn't realize the Dragonfly can also output chart information to another app"
A: The Dragonfly displays do not have this capability. Chart information is downloaded from the Internet into the Navionics Boating app and it is that chart information which is displayed by the Navionics Boating app. The SonarChart Live feature of the Boating app then overlays the displayed chart information with logged sonar data received via Wi-Fi from the Wi-Fi equipped Dragonfly Pro Display.

You're welcome.