Raymarine forum
Replacing all electronics - Printable Version

+- Raymarine forum (http://forum.raymarine.com)
+-- Forum: Raymarine Forums (/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Product Selection Assistance (/forumdisplay.php?fid=124)
+--- Thread: Replacing all electronics (/showthread.php?tid=1861)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5

Replacing all electronics - wrandy - 09-21-16 12:35 PM

I had a lightning strike on my Beneteau 445 and am replacing all of the electronics. I composed a post listing the products that I have purchased so far and asking for help with the layout and suggestions for additional equipment that I need. When I tried to post it said too long and deleted it. I am new to this forum and need some help with the process.

RE: Replacing all electronics - Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator - 09-21-16 12:59 PM

Welcome to the Raymarine Forum Randy,

Should the thread or post which you are trying to submit be reported to be too long, then divide it into smaller pieces ... in this case try posting a response(s) to this thread which you created and include the details of the system which you would like to create.

RE: Replacing all electronics - wrandy - 09-21-16 02:12 PM

Here is a list of all the equipment I have purchased so far:
P70 color head with 16" cable E22166
EV sensor core with 1m cable E70096 V1.11
ACU 400 Evolution autopilot
RD418HDdigital radome with 10m cables
Raymarine eS98 multifunction display
Raymarine eS98 multifunction display
Raymarine i70 Instrument display E22172
Raymarine i70 Instrument display E22172
Raymarine Forward Std Wind TX E22078

I want to be able to control the radar from both of the MFDs even when one is turned off. I do a lot of offshore sailing and need redundancy and minimum power usage.

RE: Replacing all electronics - Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator - 09-21-16 02:18 PM

Randy,

Unfortunately, we do not have the bandwidth to produce custom system diagrams.

As your concept of operations includes use of either MFD with the second MFD being powered OFF, then each MFD will need to be interfaced as a spur to a powered and properly terminated SeaTalkng backbone. The backbone which will be created must have a sufficient number of spur sockets to additionally accommodate interfacing the i70 MFIDs, p70, EV Sensor Core, ACU-400, and a SeaTalkng Power Cable as individual spurs to the SeaTalkng backbone. When installing the ACU-400, it is recommended that its SeaTalkng Power dip switch be configured OFF.

Additionally, it will be necessary to install a HS5 RayNet Network Switch. Each MFD will be interfaced to the switch via an appropriate length of RayNet (F) to RayNet (F) Cable. The Digital Radar Cable will additionally need to be interfaced to the HS5 RayNet Network Switch. It is recommended that a Digital Radar Extension Cable should be chased from the radar scanner’s power / communications interface port to the base of the mast, pole mount or backstay. This will permit the Digital Radar Extension Cable to be quickly and cleanly disconnected from the vessel's wiring should the mast or be removed. The Digital Radar Extension Cable will be connected to an appropriate length of Digital Radar Cable w/RayNet (F) plug. A Digital Radar Extension Cable would not typically be used on a power boat unless mounted on an arch or tower would was intended to be removed.

Please click here to view a FAQ addressing recommendations for powering the equipment.

RE: Replacing all electronics - wrandy - 09-21-16 02:30 PM

Chuck, Thank you for the info. I will proceed with the design and installation and will let you know if I have specific questions going forward.

RE: Replacing all electronics - wrandy - 09-27-16 03:45 PM

Chuck,
I am struggling through the manuals for my new equipment and am confused by some nomenclature. I see RayNet, Seatalkng, Seatalkhs, Seatalk(1) and Seatalk(2). I think I am understanding the hs, (1) and (2) but am having trouble with RayNet and Seatalkng. Are these just two names for the same network?

RE: Replacing all electronics - Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator - 09-27-16 04:19 PM

Randy,

You can find detailed information the different types of communications supported by Raymarine products (NMEA 0183, SeaTalk, SeaTalkng / NMEA 2000, and Ethernet) here. SeaTalkHS and RayNet are both associated with Ethernet communications. SeaTalkhs or RayNet only specifies the type of waterproof plug/socket that the product's Ethernet port or cable has been supplied with. Raymarine's first products featuring waterproof Ethernet sockets featured SeaTalkhs sockets and used cables featuring SeaTalkhs plugs. Today's Raymarine products featuring waterproof Ethernet sockets feature RayNet sockets and use cables featuring RayNet plugs.

RE: Replacing all electronics - wrandy - 09-27-16 07:44 PM

Chuck,
I sent a diagram in a post this afternoon of my first pass at laying out my new instruments. I forgot to state that I want to be able to operate the radar from either MFD even when the other device is turned off. I'm not sure if the network switch accomplishes this or if I have to connect each MFD to the backbone through a spur.
Randy

RE: Replacing all electronics - wrandy - 09-28-16 06:18 AM

Here is an updated version of my proposed layout. I added power to the network switch and color coded the wires. I am not clear what type of wire connects the ST60, i70 and P70. Should there be a bus of some sort here?

RE: Replacing all electronics - Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator - 09-28-16 08:35 AM

Randy,

The following items will need to be corrected within your diagram:
- An E22158 SeaTalk to SeaTalkng Converter will need to be installed as a component within your SeaTalkng Backbone to accommodate the legacy devices within your system having a SeaTalk communications interface (i.e. the ST60 Instrument listed within your diagram
- The ST60 Instrument will not be connected to the i70 as is shown within your diagram. Instead, it will be interfaced to the yellow SeaTalk socket of the aforementioned SeaTalk to SeaTalkng Converter
- The 12VDC power insertion point for the SeaTalkng backbone should be located at the approximate mid-point of the SeaTalkng backbone's LEN load.
- Should the iTC-5 be located at the end of the SeaTalkng backbone as shown within your diagram, then a SeaTalkng Termination Plug will need to be installed within the unused blue backbone socket of the iTC-5.
- The SeaTalkng backbone may not be interfaced to the HS5 RayNet Network Switch as is shown within your diagram. Instead, the system's Data Master MFD (i.e. that which will always be switched ON when the system is in use, will be interfaced as a spur to the SeaTalkng backbone. Also, as your concept of operation calls for operation of either MFD while other MFD is switched OFF, then each MFD will need to function as the system's Data Master MFD. Correspondingly, each MFD will need to be interfaced as a spur to the SeaTalkng backbone.