Raymarine forum
Internet connection problems - Printable Version

+- Raymarine forum (http://forum.raymarine.com)
+-- Forum: Raymarine Forums (/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Multifunction Displays (/forumdisplay.php?fid=120)
+--- Thread: Internet connection problems (/showthread.php?tid=2289)

Internet connection problems - Hg1 - 12-27-16 03:12 PM

I have an e7 and an a97. Both were updated over wifi to 17.46 from a boatyard wifi hotspot. Some yards I can connect the MFDs to the internet, others I can't. In all cases I can connect all my other devices like phones computers and tablets. I'm on the hook today with my new android 6.0.1 LG phone as a hotspot. It connects all my pc's, tablets, and windows phones to the internet, but not MFDs. I successfully connect MFD's, but checking for updates, or trying to get theyr weather to work, I get a"cant connect to the internet" error. Same on each mfd, tried open connection, WPA, WPA2, reboots simple passwords etc. everything works except MFDs.

RE: Internet connection problems - Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator - 12-27-16 04:01 PM

Welcome to the Raymarine Forum Harold,

Please click here to view a thread in which I had previously addressed this subject.

RE: Internet connection problems - Hg1 - 12-27-16 04:32 PM

I followed the link, and I'm already connecting via "work around" mentioned. The MFD's both can connect to my smartphone configured as a hotspot, but when I check connected devices on the phone, it lists the e7 with the name * and IP address 192.168.43.27. So both the phone and the MFD's think they are connected, but I still get the error message"could not connect to the internet via LG...." Can't see where I can force any other IP range on the phone

RE: Internet connection problems - Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator - 12-28-16 11:56 AM

Harold,

1. Configure the MFD's Wi-Fi setting (HOME->SET-UP->WIRELESS CONNECTIONS->WI-FI->WI-FI) setting to ON
2. Configure your mobile device's portable Wi-Fi hotspot setting to ON
3. Configure the MFD to forget your mobile device's portable Wi-Fi hotspot SSID (Note: this may be different from your mobile device's Wi-Fi SSID) (HOME->SET-UP->WIRELESS CONNECTIONS->WI-FI->WI-FI NETWORKS->touch/select your mobile device's portable Wi-Fi hotspot SSID; touch the FORGET button within the Network Details dialog).
4. Command the MFD to Check Online For Updates (HOME->SET-UP->MAINTENANCE->CHECK ONLINE FOR UPDATES) to display the Wi-Fi Networks list
5. Touch/select your mobile device's SSID within the displayed list of Wi-Fi Networks
6. Touch/select CONNECT button within the Network Details dialog. The MFD will then reconnect with the chosen SSID and within a minute or so, the MFD should then report that it is checking online for updates. After checking Raymarine's web site, the MFD will report that either No Updates are available (i.e. the software within your products is current) or indicate that updates were found and list options to install the update(s).

Should execution of revised procedure not permit your MFD to check for updates via the Internet via your phone's portable Wi-Fi hotspot, then the problem may indeed be linked to your cellular service provider. We have tested the procedure listed above with Android smartphones and iPhones having Verizon, AT&T, and US Cellular cellular service. It would be interesting to learn whether another smartphone using a cellular service provided other than T-Mobile permits your MFD to check online for product software updates. Should you continue to experience problems using the MFD to check online for software updates, then I will be glad to log a problem report with our UK engineering team.