Raymarine forum
[CA] [CA11] Interface EV-100 Sail to Raymarine wind transducer - Printable Version

+- Raymarine forum (http://forum.raymarine.com)
+-- Forum: Raymarine Forums (/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Autopilots (/forumdisplay.php?fid=23)
+--- Thread: [CA] [CA11] Interface EV-100 Sail to Raymarine wind transducer (/showthread.php?tid=2617)

Pages: 1 2

[CA11] Interface EV-100 Sail to Raymarine wind transducer - justinJPW - 03-01-17 12:13 PM

Hi

I have a small sailboat with an EV-100 Sail (wheel) Autopilot. I want to acquire a wind transducer so I can use the autopilot to stay at the same wind angle not just a compass course.

I cant figure which model to get and how this connects to the ACU-100 or the P70 - it's unclear to me how SeaTalk network works here.

Thanks for any help!

jpw

RE: Interface EV-100 Sail to Raymarine wind transducer - Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator - 03-01-17 04:01 PM

Welcome to the Raymarine Forum justinJPW,

Any of the following may be installed to support the end the autopilot's Wind Vane Mode:

- E70150 i60 Wind Pack (includes i60 Wind instrument and masthead transducer). The i60 Wind Instrument Display will need to be interfaced a to a spur socket within the SeaTalkng backbone via an appropriate length of SeaTalkng Spur Cable.

or

- E70327 i70S Multifunction Instrument Display, E70010 iTC-5 Analog Instrument Converter, and E22078 (30m) Short Arm Wind Vane Transducer. The iTC-5 will need to be interfaced to the SeaTalkng backbone via an appropriate length of SeaTalkng Backbone Cable. The i70S will need to be interfaced to the backbone via an appropriate length of SeaTalk Spur Cable.

Should one need to add additional spur sockets to the SeaTalkng backbone to accommodate these additional products, the Please click here to view a FAQ addressing this subject.

RE: Interface EV-100 Sail to Raymarine wind transducer - justinJPW - 03-02-17 10:55 AM

Chuck

Many thanks for this excellent advice - I will also review the suggested link about how the SeaTalk Spur Cable is configured. I'm assuming, if I have appropriately installed my EV-100, that I do have a "powered and properly terminated SeaTalk backbone" as referenced in that spur cable link! This is the only instrumentation I have apart from some Autohelm ST50 Depth and Log - is there any benefit to them connecting in here?

Thank you for this clarification. Much appreciated!!

jp

RE: Interface EV-100 Sail to Raymarine wind transducer - Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator - 03-02-17 11:25 AM

JP,

Q1. I'm assuming, if I have appropriately installed my EV-100, that I do have a "powered and properly terminated SeaTalk backbone" as referenced in that spur cable link!
A1. Should the autopilot be functioning, you may safely assume that a powered SeaTalkng backbone has been installed to interface these products to one another. With respect to the "properly terminated" point, a termination plug must be inserted into the blue backbone socket of the backbone's two end sockets.

Q2. This is the only instrumentation I have apart from some Autohelm ST50 Depth and Log - is there any benefit to them connecting in here?
A2. Unlike ST50+ instruments, the ST50 instruments should not be interfaced to the system via a SeaTalk to SeaTalkng Converter. Should the SeaTalk bus which had ST50 wind instruments and it have been interfaced to a SeaTalk to NMEA 0183 data bridging device (ex. E85001 PC/SeaTalk/NMEA 0183 Interface Module (no longer available, Brookhouse iMux, etc.)) then it would have been recommended that the NMEA 0183 output port of the E85001 PC/SeaTalk/NMEA 0183 Interface Module be interfaced to a NMEA 0183 to SeaTalkng/NMEA 2000 data bridging device (ex. Actisense NGW-1-ISO-STNG, etc.) to support the autopilot's wind vane mode (sailing vessels only).

RE: Interface EV-100 Sail to Raymarine wind transducer - justinJPW - 03-02-17 09:23 PM

Chuck

Thank you for this - I will acquire and interface the E70150 i60 Wind Pack to the EV-100 as described!

- jp

RE: Interface EV-100 Sail to Raymarine wind transducer - Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator - 03-03-17 12:11 PM

You're welcome.

RE: Interface EV-100 Sail to Raymarine wind transducer - justinJPW - 03-03-17 03:33 PM

Chuck

One final question - I do have an ITC-5 which has never been installed - I am taking your advice and ordering the E70150 i60 Wind Pack; does the ITC-5 add any value here or should I ignore it? Am I right in thinking that it's an analogue to digital converter - and I think you are telling me to go all digital - is this correct?

Thanks

jp

RE: Interface EV-100 Sail to Raymarine wind transducer - Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator - 03-03-17 05:01 PM

Justin,

The iTC-5 would only have applicability if the system included an i70/i70S MFID. In such cases, the wind transducer would be interfaced to the iTC-5. In this case, the i60 Wind instrument would simply be interfaced as a spur to the backbone and the wind transducer would be connected to the transducer terminals located on the back side of the instrument.

RE: Interface EV-100 Sail to Raymarine wind transducer - justinJPW - 03-03-17 05:12 PM

Thanks for that clarification - and for your great advice throughout!

Have a great weekend -

jp

RE: Interface EV-100 Sail to Raymarine wind transducer - Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator - 03-03-17 05:14 PM

You're welcome.