Raymarine forum
Splice Quantum Data Cable - Printable Version

+- Raymarine forum (http://forum.raymarine.com)
+-- Forum: Raymarine Forums (/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Radar (/forumdisplay.php?fid=125)
+--- Thread: Splice Quantum Data Cable (/showthread.php?tid=2913)

Splice Quantum Data Cable - capecodboater - 04-19-17 08:08 AM

I am currently installing a new Quantum Radar (T70243) on my boat with an Axiom 9 with 3D RealVision (E70367). Although the unit provides integration via WiFi, I prefer to install it using the included data cable. After a week of trying to snake the data cable through the boat, I had to cut the connector off. I was then able to snake the cable through the remaining distance to the install location.

I have experience with CAT 5 cable and RJ45 connectors and it appears that the data cable is the same as CAT 5 cable. I was trying to determine the best way to splice the cables together and was hoping you could help me answer the following questions:

1. Can I crimp a standard RJ45 connector to the end of the cable and then use the RayNet (F) to RJ45 (F) Adaptor (Part #A80247)

2. If I crimp a RJ45 connector to the cable, do I use a typical CAT-5 B diagram?

3. Am I better off using a standard punch junction board to make the connection and then seal it?

Thanks for your help and I can't wait to try out my new electronics

RE: Splice Quantum Data Cable - Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator - 04-19-17 02:31 PM

Welcome to the Raymarine Forum capecodboater,

Q1. Can I crimp a standard RJ45 connector to the end of the cable and then use the RayNet (F) to RJ45 (F) Adaptor (Part #A80247)
A1. It is indeed possible to crimp a RJ45 plug onto the cable's leads to support the adaptation which you have suggested. However, only shielded RJ45 plugs should be used.

Q2. If I crimp a RJ45 connector to the cable, do I use a typical CAT-5 B diagram?
A2. Please click here to view a FAQ identifying the type of termination to be used when installing the RJ45 plug.

Q3. Am I better off using a standard punch junction board to make the connection and then seal it?
A3. This approach would not be recommended as it may introduce noise within the Ethernet communications path.