Raymarine forum
E80 System Upgrade - Printable Version

+- Raymarine forum (http://forum.raymarine.com)
+-- Forum: Raymarine Forums (/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Product Selection Assistance (/forumdisplay.php?fid=124)
+--- Thread: E80 System Upgrade (/showthread.php?tid=2945)

Pages: 1 2

E80 System Upgrade - wavedweller - 04-24-17 09:53 AM

I currently have an E80 based system on my 40’ trawler. We are pleasure cruisers, not much interested in fishing. I want to upgrade to a newer system to enjoy wifi and bluetooth connectivity (especially route/waypoint import), touchscreen access, and overall ease of use. Here’s my current system components:

2 - E80 MFD (upper and lower)
DSM 300 w/B744V Through-hull Sonar Transducer
SR 150 Sirius Weather
4D Pathfinder Radar
e55058 Network Switch
RS125 GPS Antenna
Em-Track B100 AIS Transceiver
2- Standard Horizon Matrix GX2000 VHF w/AIS (upper and lower)
Autopilot: ST6001, S3 SmartPilot, S100 Remote

I want to replace the E80s with either A98s or 9” Axioms. I would like to upgrade to the new Quantum radar. I would like to keep the B744V Through-hull Sonar Transducer in the system (at least until the next pull out). I would also like to keep the following items in the system:

SR 150 Sirius Weather
RS125 GPS Antenna
Em-Track B100 AIS Transceiver
2- Standard Horizon Matrix GX2000 VHF w/AIS (upper and lower)
Autopilot: ST6001, S3 SmartPilot, S100 Remote

I have read many of the existing questions and answers in the forums during my research. Here’s my questions:

1. I have read that I could use the E66066 Transducer Adapter Cable to connect my B744V directly to a A98. Is this true? Is this also true for a 9” Axiom?
2. Do I need to, or should I, replace the RS125 with a GA150 or RS150?
3. With my equipment configuration and connectivity needs, which is the best MFD for me, A98 or 9” Axiom?
4. With this configuration, what is the best way to integrate my equipment (I realize that it may be two connected networks)?

RE: E80 System Upgrade - Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator - 04-25-17 01:50 PM

Welcome to the Raymarine Forum wavedweller,

Q1. I have read that I could use the E66066 Transducer Adapter Cable to connect my B744V directly to a A98. Is this true? Is this also true for a 9” Axiom?
A1. No, the ax8 MFDs cannot be mated to your DSM300 compatible transducer. Please click here to view a FAQ addressing how the currently installed transducer may be adapted to be mated to an Axiom RV MFD. In this case, an A80489 Axiom RV to DSM300 compatible Transducer Adapter would be used for Axiom RV MFDs which will only be interfaced to DSM300 compatible transducer. An A80485 Axiom DV to DSM300 compatible Transducer Adapter would be used for Axiom DV MFDs which will only be interfaced to DSM300 compatible transducers.

Q2. Do I need to, or should I, replace the RS125 with a GA150 or RS150?
A2. Should the RS125 be operational, then there would be no need to replace it. If replacing the RS125, then a RS150 or a GA150 may be used.

Q3. With my equipment configuration and connectivity needs, which is the best MFD for me, A98 or 9” Axiom?
Q3. As the ax8 MFDs cannot be mated to your DSM300 compatible transducer. An ax7 MFD would be recommended is selecting an a-Series MFD. The transducer would be adapted with an E66066 Transducer Adapter. If seeking the best price point, an ax7 MFD may be the best choice. If seeking the latest hardware, performance and longest period of for servicing and parts, then an Axiom MFD would be recommended.

Q4. With this configuration, what is the best way to integrate my equipment (I realize that it may be two connected networks)?
A4: Ethernet: The Axiom or ax7 MFDs, Quantum Radome, and SR150 would each be interfaced to the SeaTalkhs Network Switch.
- SeaTalkng: It would be recommended that the Data Master MFD, EM-100, and RS150 (if installed) be interfaced as spurs to a powered and properly terminated SeaTalkng backbone. Should the EM-100 not have a NMEA 2000 communications interface, then a 38400 BAUD NMEA 0183 to NMEA 2000 data bridging device (ex. Actisense NGW-1-ISO-AIS, etc.) may be used to interface the AIS transceiver to the SeaTalkng backbone.
- SeaTalk: The SeaTalkng backbone should include a SeaTalk to SeaTalkng Converter bridge data between the SeaTalk bus (ST6001, S3 SmartPilot, S100 Remote, RS125) and the SeaTalkng backbone
- NMEA 0183: The SeaTalkng backbone should include an E70196 VHF NMEA 0183 to STng Converter to supply the VHF radio with GPS data.

RE: E80 System Upgrade - wavedweller - 04-25-17 02:14 PM

Thank you Chuck for your quick response. This forum with you detailed answers are very valuable to all of us Raymarine products owners. It's a major reason why I am staying with Raymarine.

RE: E80 System Upgrade - wavedweller - 04-25-17 10:35 PM

Hi Chuck

I followed your advise as best I could and developed a configuration/order list (attached). I still need to add the various cables and connectors, but would appreciate your quick review for the correct Raymarine products connected via the correct networking formats.

Important question: Now that I'm convinced that Axiom is my best choice, how soon will it be released?

RE: E80 System Upgrade - Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator - 04-26-17 02:21 PM

wavedweller,

Please click here to view a FAQ addressing the subject of replacing E-Series Classic MFDs with Axiom MFDs. While we can't specify the exact lengths (and correspondingly part numbers) for cables required for your installation, the following links will take you to Raymarine's web pages providing this information:
- SeaTalkng
- Ethernet

Ethernet: Based upon the system's currently installed components, a SeaTalkhs Network Switch must have been installed onboard along with Ethernet (SeaTalkhs) Cables to interface the MFDs and DSM to the SeaTalkhs Network Switch. Unless this network switch is missing or failing, there would be no need to replace it with a HS5 RayNet Nework Switch. As indicated within the FAQ referenced above, the currently installed SeaTalkhs cables may be retained for use with the Axiom MFDs. A80160 SeaTalkhs (F) to RayNet (F) Adapters will be used to adapt these cables to be mated to the Ethernet NETWORK socket of the Axiom MFDs

Radar: as indicated within the referenced Radar FAQ, Digital Radar Cable may be adapted to be mated to your system's SeaTalkhs Network Switch via an assembly constructed from an A80160 RayNet (M) to RayNet (M) Cable Joiner and an appropriate length of RayNet (F) to RJ45 (M) Cable.

SeaTalkng / NMEA 2000: A powered and properly terminated SeaTalkng backbone will need to be constructed, having sufficient spur sockets to accommodate each device which will be interfaced as a spur to the backbone (i.e. Data Master Axiom MFD, Raystar 150 GPS Sensor, EM-Trak B100, and SeaTalkng Power Cable ... five total spur sockets required). The backbone will include a SeaTalk to SeaTalkng Converter and a VHF NMEA 0183 to STng Converter, each of which will be joined to the backbone via an appropriate length of SeaTalkng Backbone Cable ... these to devices alone will provide four spur sockets within the backbone. It is recommended that the backbone be extended to the upper station as well as the lower station to support installation of the Raystar 150 GPS Sensor and any future devices having a SeaTalkng / NMEA 2000 communications interface to the system. The package of the Axiom MFDs includes a DeviceNet (F) to SeaTalkng Spur Adapter. Should this Adapter not be long enough, then please note that Raymarine offers these adapters in lengths up to 1.5m.

SeaTalk: as indicated within the referenced SeaTalk FAQ, the current source of power for the SeaTalk bus (interfaces the ST6001, S3 SmartPilot, and S100 Remote to one another) will need to be disconnected. It is quite likely that you will find that the SeaTalk bus is presently being powered from one or both of the S3's red SeaTalk terminals ... disconnect the red SeaTalk leads from the S3's red SeaTalk terminals. The SeaTalk bus will be connected to and be powered via the yellow socket of the SeaTalk to SeaTalkng Converter within the SeaTalkng backbone.

NMEA 0183: The VHF radio's NMEA 0183 input leads will be interface to the corresponding NMEA 0183 output leads of the cable included with the VHF NMEA 0183 to STng Converter. Should these leads need to be lengthened, then one may do so using commonly available marine grade twisted pair signal cable.

RE: E80 System Upgrade - wavedweller - 04-26-17 02:32 PM

Thank you for all the detailed information! You have been amazingly helpful!

I can't wait to order everything. But I need the Axiom's to be released. You didn't answer that question on my post. Maybe you can't answer it but can I assume that all your detailed "converting to Axiom" posts today indicate that the release is very close?

RE: E80 System Upgrade - Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator - 04-26-17 04:14 PM

wavedweller,

The Axiom MFDs have now been released and should be making their way to dealers shortly.

RE: E80 System Upgrade - wavedweller - 04-27-17 10:00 AM

Again, thanks for all the detailed information. I would not take on this install without your help.

I've ordered the MFDs Radar and other main components. I'm working on my connector order. Because I have had problems with the workmanship of the current system on my boat, I going the replace the majority of the wiring, as well as replace the beat up e55058 with a new HS-5. I currenty have two questions (more to follow I'm sure):

1) If I understand it correctly, all I need to connect the second Upper station is the Raynet connection. But the unit needs power, and the power cable is combined with the NMEA 2000 cable. What do I do with the other end of the NMEA cable?

2) Replacing the cabling to the radar is tough. Can I use the power from the existing cable through an A80308 and use Axiom's WiFi for connectivity? The upper station Axiom is 7' away from the radar head with only a piece of sunbrella between.

RE: E80 System Upgrade - Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator - 04-27-17 01:21 PM

wavedweller,

Q1) If I understand it correctly, all I need to connect the second Upper station is the Raynet connection. But the unit needs power, and the power cable is combined with the NMEA 2000 cable. What do I do with the other end of the NMEA cable?
A1. From a communications perspective, all the only communications cable which need be interfaced to the upper station MFD would be the Ethernet cable (RayNet). As you have suggested the upper station MFD's Power/NMEA 200 Cable must also be installed and interfaced to a power circuit. However, the upper station MFD's NMEA 2000 port need not be interfaced to the SeaTalkng / NMEA 2000 backbone.

Q2) Replacing the cabling to the radar is tough. Can I use the power from the existing cable through an A80308 and use Axiom's WiFi for connectivity? The upper station Axiom is 7' away from the radar head with only a piece of sunbrella between.
A2) The subject adapter cable would not be used for this purpose. Instead, the power cable supplied with a Quantum Radome may be spliced to the power leads of the currently installed radar cable, which in turn would need to be interfaced to a switched 12 or 24 VDC power circuit.

RE: E80 System Upgrade - wavedweller - 04-27-17 01:30 PM

Thank you again for the quick answers. While not required, is there any benefit to connect the upper station to the SeaTalkng / NMEA 2000 backbone? Or are there any issues created by connecting the upper station to the SeaTalkng / NMEA 2000 backbone?