Raymarine forum
Help organizing shopping list and sequence - Printable Version

+- Raymarine forum (http://forum.raymarine.com)
+-- Forum: Raymarine Forums (/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Product Selection Assistance (/forumdisplay.php?fid=124)
+--- Thread: Help organizing shopping list and sequence (/showthread.php?tid=3085)

Help organizing shopping list and sequence - ddfour1 - 05-14-17 07:03 PM

I am planning a total upgrade to my electronics systems and would like to do it over a couple years. Here is my current inventory:

C80 Classic MFD
ST290 Speed/Depth
ST7001+ Auto pilot
SL72 Radar
Ray 215 VHF
HD 250 DSM

My thought was to start with my VHF this season. Then next season replace the MFD. The following year I would replace the radar and/or auto-pilot. I had the Evolution on my last boat and loved it.

Can you recommend the best replacement for my VHF?

Also, my helm is constrained to a MFD having the roughly the same overall size as the C80 classic. What would you recommend there?

Does my order of replacement make sense?

Thanks

Dave

RE: Help organizing shopping list and sequence - Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator - 05-15-17 01:03 PM

Welcome to the Raymarine Forum Dave,

Q1. Can you recommend the best replacement for my VHF?
A1. If seeking a VHF radio having features similar to the Ray215, then a RAY60 VHF Radio would be recommended.

Q2. Also, my helm is constrained to a MFD having the roughly the same overall size as the C80 classic. What would you recommend there?
A2. Please click here to view a FAQ addressing this subject. As the e-Series have now been retired, it would typically be recommended that an a97 or eS97 be used as a replacement for a C80 MFD. That said, it is recommended that you view the installation templates for these MFDs found here. As indicated within the referenced FAQ the a/c/e/eS/gS-Series MFDs are not compatible with the currently installed DSM250. However, the currently installed transducer may be adapted (part #E66066) to be mated to the fishfinder Transducer socket of an ax7 or eSx7 MFD (both of these MFDs feature internal 600W 50kHz/200kHz fishfinder sounder circuitry).

Q3. Does my order of replacement make sense?
A3. I see no issues with that which you are suggesting.

RE: Help organizing shopping list and sequence - ddfour1 - 05-18-17 03:00 PM

Thank you Chuck.

As you know, my Ray215 has a 6 pin nylon wiring harness that contains all 4 NMEA wires plus both power connection wires.

I note on the Ray60 that the 4 NMEA 0183 wires are separated from the power supply connection wires. The power supply connectors look more like those found on a audio head unit.

Does the Ray215 unit come with a 4 wire NMEA wiring harnesses that will allow me to connect my existing NMEA wires into?

For the power connections, do I need to make a new run from the VHF to the panel or can I convert the existing power connection wires that I have into something that will feed into the Ray60?

Is there anything else I need to buy to make the connections?

Thanks

Dave

RE: Help organizing shopping list and sequence - Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator - 05-18-17 03:33 PM

Dave,

Q1. Does the Ray215 unit come with a 4 wire NMEA wiring harnesses that will allow me to connect my existing NMEA wires into?
A1. No. The Ray60's NMEA 0183 leads may simply be spliced to the corresponding NMEA 0183 leads of the Ray215's harness.

Q2. For the power connections, do I need to make a new run from the VHF to the panel or can I convert the existing power connection wires that I have into something that will feed into the Ray60?
A2. It is quite acceptable to simply splice to Ray60's power leads to the corresponding power leads within the Ray215's harness.

RE: Help organizing shopping list and sequence - ddfour1 - 05-30-17 08:22 PM

Thanks Chuck. Can you confirm my color match between the existing wires that were connected to my Ray 215 and their connection into the new Ray60?

I think it should be as follows:

Ray215 yellow conductor connects to Ray60 white conductor
Ray215 green conductor connects to Ray60 brown conductor
Ray215 blue conductor connects to Ray60 yellow conductor
Ray215 purple conductor connects to Ray60 green conductor

Here are the color codes from the connectors on each product:

Ray 215:
Yellow (speaker +)
Green (speaker -)
Blue (GPS input +)
Purple (GPS input -)

Ray 60:
Yellow (NMEA in +)
Green (NMEA in -)
White (transmit +)
Brown (transmit -)

Dave

RE: Help organizing shopping list and sequence - Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator - 05-31-17 08:24 AM

Dave,

Your comments regarding how to connect the NMEA 0183 leads is correct. However, contrary to what you have listed, the Ray60's passive speaker cable is terminated with a female RCA plug. The Ray60's passive speaker cable's inner leads are red (+) and black (-).