Raymarine forum
Bridging Seatalk and SeatalkNG - Printable Version

+- Raymarine forum (http://forum.raymarine.com)
+-- Forum: Raymarine Forums (/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Product Selection Assistance (/forumdisplay.php?fid=124)
+--- Thread: Bridging Seatalk and SeatalkNG (/showthread.php?tid=3201)

Bridging Seatalk and SeatalkNG - night0wl - 05-26-17 05:38 PM

Hi All,

Replacing my legacy Raymarine with SeatalkNG instruments. With the exception of my AIS (MXA500 receive only), my Raystar GPS (Seatalk), and my laptop all connected to a Raymarine Serial/NMEA box (E85001).

My network(s) as follows. The ICOM MXA500 is conected to the E85001 via NMEA 0183. My laptop is connected to the E85001 via RS232. My Raystar is connected to the E85001 via one of the Seatalk ports. I have my ICOM Vhv connected to the other NMA output on the E85001 via NMA0183. I'd like to utilize the other Seatalk port to connect the E85001 to a E22158 converter kit.

Will this bridge the data both directions (so my laptop sees all SeatalkNG data and my new Axiom 9 see AIS targets from the MXA500?

Will my ICOM MXA500 that connected to a E85001 (via NMEA 0183 input) then connected to my SeatalkNG network via E22158 converter kit allow my Axiom 9 unit to see AIS targets? I require this Seatalk/NMEA network in order to allow my ICOM vhf that is connected to the E85001 NMEA output to get position fixes from my Raystar 125 gps (Seatalk input) such that it can do emergency DSC.

RE: Bridging Seatalk and SeatalkNG - Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator - 05-31-17 03:05 PM

Welcome to the Raymarine Forum night0wl,

Q1. Replacing my legacy Raymarine with SeatalkNG instruments. With the exception of my AIS (MXA500 receive only), my Raystar GPS (Seatalk), and my laptop all connected to a Raymarine Serial/NMEA box (E85001).
A1. Please note that unlike SeaTalkng, the the SeaTalk communications protocal does not support transmission of AIS data. Further, it is generally recommended that the E85001 be used as a PC to SeaTalk communications interface or a NMEA 0183 to SeaTalk communications interface, but not be interfaced to support both simultaneously. Please specify the title of the navigational software application being executed on the PC which has been connected to the E85001.

Q2. Will this bridge the data both directions (so my laptop sees all SeatalkNG data and my new Axiom 9 see AIS targets from the MXA500?
A2. While the SeaTalk to SeaTalkng Converter bridges data in a bi-directional manner, SeaTalk does not support transmission of AIS data. Should a NMEA 0183 source of AIS data need to be interfaced to the Axiom MFD, then the NMEA 0183 source of AIS data would instead need to be interfaced to a NMEA 0183 to SeaTalkng / NMEA 2000 data bridging device supporting 38400 BAUD transmission NMEA 0183 sentences containing AIS data (ex. Actisense NGW-1-ISO-AIS, etc.). The Data Master MFD and NMEA 0183 to SeaTalkng / NMEA 2000 data bridging device would then each be interfaced as spurs to a powered and properly terminated SeaTalkng backbone.

Q3. I require this Seatalk/NMEA network in order to allow my ICOM vhf that is connected to the E85001 NMEA output to get position fixes from my Raystar 125 gps (Seatalk input) such that it can do emergency DSC.
A3. See the response to Q1. It would generally be recommended that the aforementioned powered and properly terminated SeaTalkng Backbone include an E70196 VHF NMEA 0183 to STng Converter Kit to support supplying the VHF radio with GPS data.