Raymarine forum
E80 radar overlay blanked in close range - Printable Version

+- Raymarine forum (http://forum.raymarine.com)
+-- Forum: Raymarine Forums (/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Multifunction Displays (/forumdisplay.php?fid=120)
+--- Thread: E80 radar overlay blanked in close range (/showthread.php?tid=3851)

E80 radar overlay blanked in close range - Phil Niles - 08-23-17 12:12 PM

Hello all,
Powered up my E80 and noticed the radar overlay will not plot anything inside of about 1.75 miles. Any radar returns are being totally blanked out 360 deg around the vessel. I have:
reset the E80 settings, settings and data
reset the radar parameters using the auto feature.
I have manually tuned everything,
The Rx video is being blanked out.
Any control that has been adjusted makes a difference on something and appears to function. All the self tests related to the E80 and the Radar pass with no issues.
This happened to me (about 2 years ago) and I fiddled and fiddled and all of a sudden it was working.
Has anybody seen this??

Thanks

Phil

RE: E80 radar overlay blanked in close range - Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator - 08-23-17 02:29 PM

Welcome to the Raymarine Forum Phil,

What model of radome or open array radar is interfaced to the E80? What is the radar range set to? What is the Sea Clutter set to?

RE: E80 radar overlay blanked in close range - Phil Niles - 08-24-17 10:43 AM

Chuck,
The radome is the 2KW model older analog type I think the RD12. It worked on my C70 and the E80.
Sea Clutter--cannot remember an adjustment called Sea Clutter but if it is on a soft key then I have adjusted it. I remember the Harbor/Ocean/manual adjustment and no joy w/ any of those choices. The "wakes" adjustment has no effect but pls note there is no video in close so if that adjustment effects only the close in returns then I cannot say for sure as I can only look for cause and effect out at the 1.75 mile range and beyond. The STC has been from both extremes along with the manual control over the Rx gain. When I say an adjustment works what I mean is when you adjust the chart scale "out" (so as to be able to see the radar video) beyond a mile range ring, then while observing the radar video from there one can see effects while changing controls. I have tried resetting the radar settings (using the radar SW auto presetting) with Rx gain at both extremes. I can set the Rx gain up so high (about 96) and then drop the STC down to around 3 that what appears to be sparkles show up all 360 degrees and all ranges. Main Bang, range calibration, EBL alignment, interference, STC, gain, FTC, Rain, ocean/harbor, Rx tuning, waves or wakes (can't remember what it's called), enhanced echo's, all no joy.
Pls note the system only has GPS and the older fluxgate coming into the A/P. The heading is not bridged ( in I think its set in the system setup menu)
One time in the life of this system this has occurred (if I remember correctly it was when I first installed the E80) I fiddled and fiddled and all of a sudden it was working. If there is a key sequence that must be followed I'm missing it.

Thanks,

Phil

RE: E80 radar overlay blanked in close range - Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator - 08-24-17 12:50 PM

Phil,

What version of software is installed within E80? When a full page dedicated to the Radar application (not Chart application with radar overlay) is displayed and then ranged in, to 2 miles and less, is radar imagery present on the Radar application's screen? Finally, is the MFD interfaced to a source of Heading (not to be confused with COG) data? If uncertain of the latter, display the CDI application and examine the Heading data item displayed therein ... is the value listed dashes or a numerical value?

RE: E80 radar overlay blanked in close range - Phil Niles - 08-24-17 03:17 PM

Chuck,
I was afraid you would ask for the SW version. I'll get it this weekend.
When the full page radar app is displayed no joy, change the range to over 2 miles and you will see the video show up.
The system is integrated with a ST 4000+ A/P using the fluxgate heading sensor. That is the only heading sensor (right now--- plan is to install a maretron in the near future). A Ray 120 GPS provides heading information that is displayed on the E80's data bar. As you can imagine, the own ship icon does not follow the GPS heading. I have not displayed the CDI screen but showing the heading info via the menu button and then punching down into shows blanks. When in the slip I can align the EBL. I thought the radar had broke and just happened to expand the chart view and noticed the video. Brought back memory of fiddling with the same problem years ago. Just completed a calibration swing on the fluxgate, it passed.

Phil

RE: E80 radar overlay blanked in close range - Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator - 08-25-17 03:46 PM

Phil,

You can skip any further investigation. As the problem present itself within the Radar application page as well with the Radar application operating with its default settings (by virtue of the System Settings / Factory Reset) and Radar Reset, the problem appears to be rooted within the radome's circuitry ... quite possibly its LNC. Unfortunately, Raymarine's Product Repair Center can no longer service radomes and open array radar pedestals having an analog communications interface. The good news is that the E-Series Classic MFDs are also compatible with each of Raymarine's currently manufactured radomes (except for Quantum) and open array pedestals.

Please additionally see the private message which I will be sending to you.