Raymarine forum
[CA] [CA11] Can't get rocks to NOT display - Printable Version

+- Raymarine forum (http://forum.raymarine.com)
+-- Forum: Raymarine Forums (/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Multifunction Displays (/forumdisplay.php?fid=120)
+--- Thread: [CA] [CA11] Can't get rocks to NOT display (/showthread.php?tid=3896)

[CA11] Can't get rocks to NOT display - randy@onlinecruisingguide.com - 08-30-17 02:38 PM

Regardless of the setting on our ES98 and A65 MFDs, our navionics charts display ALL rocks, regardless of depth. This means that we have open areas with rocks at over 100ft, that are displayed along with any relevant rocks at 18ft or less. It makes for a very cluttered interface, and real risk of a "boy who cried wolf" situation, where we get so sick of looking at all these rocks that are no danger whatsoever, that we miss one that really is. Please help. I was told before that updating to lighthouse 19 would probably solve the issue. It made no difference.

RE: [CA11] Can't get rocks to NOT display - Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator - 08-30-17 02:55 PM

Welcome to the Raymarine Forum Randy,

In order to provide clarification, please use the MFD's screen capture feature to capture the screen of the Chartplotter application when it is exhibiting the reported issue. The screen capture will be saved as a .png file within the root level directory of the microSD memory card. Please attach this screen captur to your response to this thread. Please additionally specify the type of cartography which you are using with the MFD.

RE: [CA11] Can't get rocks to NOT display - randy@onlinecruisingguide.com - 04-18-20 05:40 PM

Hi Chuck-
Sorry it took so long to get back to you on this. For clarification, we are using Navionics Platinum+ charting, #911 - Mexico/Cent America/Caribbean.

See attached screenshot. Note the rock near the waypoint. This is in at least 150 feet of water. No one has ever seen or heard of it. It shows as always underwater, and in an area with 6ft+ tides, this means it poses no danger at all. It's frustrating that there are no controls for these chart objects. I realize the core issue is likely with Navionics, but I'm hoping you have some sort of insight.

RE: [CA11] Can't get rocks to NOT display - Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator - 04-20-20 10:55 AM

Randy,

It appears that the cartography in the subject area of the Baja is more than a bit scant. Regarding rocks, these objects may only be hidden with respect to depth ranges. As the MFD is not hiding rocks when set as low as 0-6 feet, nothing more may be done with respect to configuration settings to hide the rock. Additionally LHII did not include an option to hide all rocks. As the MFD is running LightHouse II software, not further software updates will be forthcoming for the MFD. It was further noticed that your chart data may be a bit stale, as that shown on the Navionics site's view included additional rocks in that area. It is recommended that correction of the issue be sought though an update to the Navionics chart card after Navionics has corrected the data the rock object(s) in this area of the Baja.

[Image: attachment.php?aid=4399]

RE: [CA11] Can't get rocks to NOT display - randy@onlinecruisingguide.com - 04-20-20 11:54 AM

Hi Chuck-
Thanks for your reply. Any reason why my previous reply with the images doesn't show up in this thread?

Anyway, the Navionics we're using is updated as of 2 weeks ago, so I'm curious why you would think it seems stale. Please provide detail.

More importantly, in what way can we effectively make some rocks "be hidden with respect to depth ranges." ?

RE: [CA11] Can't get rocks to NOT display - Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator - 04-20-20 01:19 PM

Randy,

Q1. Any reason why my previous reply with the images doesn't show up in this thread?
A1. As I was able to duplicate what was in the image I deleted the second post on this subject providing the clarification.

Q2. Anyway, the Navionics we're using is updated as of 2 weeks ago, so I'm curious why you would think it seems stale.
A2. Within the image provided within my last response, three rocks were shown in the area of the rock which you had identified. The issue may simply be that the others come into view once ranged in a bit further. The screen snapshot provided within my last response was taken from the Navionics web site ... which I have duplicated on my own system running LHII.

Q3. More importantly, in what way can we effectively make some rocks "be hidden with respect to depth ranges." ?
A3. As indicated within my last response, LHII software did not support an option to hide all rocks.

RE: [CA11] Can't get rocks to NOT display - randy@onlinecruisingguide.com - 04-21-20 11:08 AM

Hi Chuck-
Thanks for clarifying. We do indeed have those other rocks a few miles north, visible on our plotter. I'm confident we're up to date.

Can you please provide detail on how to selectively remove rocks based on depth range in LH2? I feel like I've combed through everything and never been able to find a setting that changes anything. This may in fact be due to the fact that particular depth data is not attached to the rocks in question. Would that make sense? In that case it would of course fall in the lap of Navionics.

RE: [CA11] Can't get rocks to NOT display - Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator - 04-21-20 01:00 PM

A1. As I believe that you have already done, rock objects are hidden via the Show Rocks (MENU->PRESENTATION->CHART OBJECTS->SHOW ROCKS) configuration setting. When configured to a range, all rock objects which have a listed depth greater than the upper limit of the configured range will be hidden. Having done this, you have done all that may be done via the MFD's user interface. As you had suggested, as the rock objects have no depth associated with them, the MFD's software is not handling that case and will not hide rocks lacking a populated depth attribute. It can be stated that rock objects have a depth associated with them may reliably be hidden via the Chart application's Hide Rocks configuration setting. Should Navionics make the required updates to the cartography to include depths for these rock objects, then I would expect that the Chart application's Hide Rocks configuration setting would indeed hide them.

RE: [CA11] Can't get rocks to NOT display - randy@onlinecruisingguide.com - 04-21-20 01:47 PM

Hi Chuck-
So it sounds like you are confirming that the issue lies with a lack of specific data per-rock coming from Navionics. Thanks for that. I will take it up with them. Not sure at all how to make progress on that front. Can you think of any charting providers that actually DO provide specific depths for rocks like this?

RE: [CA11] Can't get rocks to NOT display - Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator - 04-21-20 02:10 PM

Randy,

As suggested within the other threads which you had submitted on cartography issues, you may want to consider exploring what the cartography for Mexican waters from C-Map looks like. Unfortunately, I do not have a C-Map chart card providing coverage of Mexican waters. C-Map also has an online chart viewer to permit one to view cartography before purchasing. Unfortunately, within a couple of quick checks, C-Map too has submerged rocks with no depth attribute. I would expect that it would render similarly to Navionics cartography.