Raymarine forum
[CA] C90W Upgrade to Axion Pro with 3D Imaging - Printable Version

+- Raymarine forum (http://forum.raymarine.com)
+-- Forum: Raymarine Forums (/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Fishfinders (/forumdisplay.php?fid=25)
+--- Thread: [CA] C90W Upgrade to Axion Pro with 3D Imaging (/showthread.php?tid=4799)

[CA] C90W Upgrade to Axion Pro with 3D Imaging - Wlaks - 02-17-18 03:00 PM

* Raymarine c90w gps plotter fish finder. DSM 30.
*Raymarine st70 auto pilot
*Raymarine s-100 auto pilot remote
*Airmarb-60-12 Transducer
Raymarine Rd 418 Radar
26 TwinVee with twin outboards. Fresh water fished in great lakes 20 to 350 FOW.

Looking to upgrade my fish finder to the Axiom Pro. with 3D imaging. Listed above is my current set up and the auto pilot and radar work fine. Bought new in 2012. I could keep the current C90W unit and use for radar and auto pilot. Axiom would be for the fish finder and GPS. Adding a 9 inch unit in the dash.
I need to know it the Axiom is compatible with what units of my site up. Since I will not be using the C90W for the fish graph is the DSM 30 taken out? Transducer would be a through hull one which I would remove the old transducer. I need your recommendation on part number. How would the new system be weared in to my current system. One option would be to use two 9 inch Axiom units with the one just to be used for the radar if it is compatible with Axiom system.

RE: [CA] C90W Upgrade to Axion Pro with 3D Imaging - Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator - 02-20-18 12:07 PM

Welcome to the Raymarine Forum Wlaks,

Q1. Compatible with Axiom Pro MFD?:
Q1a. Raymarine c90w MFD
A1a. Axiom MFDs may only reside within the same Ethernet Network with other MFDs designed to run LightHouse 3 software. The C90W may be interfaced to the STng backbone to which the Data Master Axiom / Axiom Pro MFD as also been interfaced to support continued use of the C90W as a chartplotter to support monitoring of alphanumeric GPS, instrument, navigational, alarm, and system state data.

Q1b. DSM 30.
A1b. Negative

Q1c. Raymarine st70 auto pilot
A1c. Yes

Q1d. Raymarine s-100 auto pilot remote
A1d. May be adapted via SeaTalk to SeaTalkng Converter kit

Q1e. Airmarb-60-12 Transducer
A1e. Only if the transducer's cable plug (not that of an extension or adapter) is designed to be directly mated to the DSM30. If so, then it may be adapted for use with the Axiom Pro RVX MFD.

Q1f. Raymarine Rd 418 Radar
A1f. Yes

Q2. Since I will not be using the C90W for the fish graph is the DSM 30 taken out?
A2. See the response to Q1e. If the answer is yes, then the DSM30 may be removed from the system.

Q3. Transducer would be a through hull one which I would remove the old transducer. I need your recommendation on part number.
A3. I'm confused. Will you be keeping or replacing the Airmarb-60-12 Transducer? Is this the thru-hull which you are seeking to replace?

Q4. How would the new system be weared in to my current system.
A4. The Data Master Axiom / Axiom Pro MFD would be interfaced as a spur to the SeaTalkng backbone. As the system will feature only three devices designed to communicate via an Ethernet network (e.g. Axiom RVX MFD, additional Axiom / Axiom Pro MFD, and RD418), the two MFDs may be interfaced to one another via an appropriate length of RayNet (F) to RayNet (F) Cable. The SeaTalkhs Cable which had interfaced the radome to the MFD may be adapted (A80160) to be mated to one of the two Network sockets of the Axiom Pro 9 RVX MFD. When so interfaced, the Axiom MFDs will share all system resources with one another.

RE: [CA] C90W Upgrade to Axion Pro with 3D Imaging - Wlaks - 02-26-18 12:43 PM

Chuck thanks for you reply.
Q3 answer. Yes I would be removing the Airmarb 60-12 transducer and replace with the RV-312 with 12 degrees. Current one is about 12 inches back from transom.
Talked to a person who had a three D imaging tru hull transducer installed on his TW and it worked.

My next decision is what do I do with the C90W. I was thinking on using it for just the radar system. I could also buy two 9 inch Axions units, (remove C90W and DSM 30) and have the one just for the radar. What would be your recommendation for a system that would function well together. I have room on the dash to add another unit in. So it would be the one Axion Pro with the C90W or two 9 inch Axion.

RE: [CA] C90W Upgrade to Axion Pro with 3D Imaging - Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator - 02-26-18 04:04 PM

Wlaks,

Q1. My next decision is what do I do with the C90W. I was thinking on using it for just the radar system. I could also buy two 9 inch Axions units, (remove C90W and DSM 30) and have the one just for the radar. What would be your recommendation for a system that would function well together. I have room on the dash to add another unit in. So it would be the one Axion Pro with the C90W or two 9 inch Axion.

A2. Given the choice of two incompatible MFDs and a pair of compatible MFDs, I would always recommend that a pair of compatible MFDs (in this case Axiom or Axiom Pro) be installed to maximize redundancy and flexibility to display whatever information is desired on either MFD.

RE: [CA] C90W Upgrade to Axion Pro with 3D Imaging - Wlaks - 02-27-18 11:54 AM

Thanks for your advise. I will be looking for the two new units in March and install on boat in April when the boat comes out of storage. Will be checking back with you when I install, if I have any problem.

RE: [CA] C90W Upgrade to Axion Pro with 3D Imaging - Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator - 02-27-18 03:43 PM

You're welcome.