Raymarine forum
[CA] Using a Loran antenna with a VHF radio - Printable Version

+- Raymarine forum (http://forum.raymarine.com)
+-- Forum: Raymarine Forums (/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: NAVAIDS (/forumdisplay.php?fid=122)
+--- Thread: [CA] Using a Loran antenna with a VHF radio (/showthread.php?tid=4955)

[CA] Using a Loran antenna with a VHF radio - boardman74 - 03-10-18 05:51 PM

I removed a RayNav 520 from a boat we recently purchased. This is an old 1990 era Loran C unit so even though it functions, obviously not a useable item with the loran C system no longer broadcasting.

When removing it I noticed the antenna had the same coupling as a VHF antenna/radio and looks similar also.

My question is this, is the antenna the same as a VHF antenna? Can it be used for a VHF Radio? I ask because I am mounting a VHF where the 520 was and that would be very convenient.

RE: [CA] Using a Loran antenna with a VHF radio - Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator - 03-12-18 12:52 PM

Welcome to the Raymarine Forum boardman74,

RF antennas are designed / tuned for operation within a specific range of frequencies based upon the device which they will be interfaced to. Loran signal was transmitted within the low frequency (160-180kHz) range while VHF transmits within the very high frequency (VHF) range (160-240MHz). Accordingly, it is not recommended that a Loran antenna be substituted for a VHF antenna for use with a VHF radio.