Raymarine forum
[CA] Simplify C120W System - Printable Version

+- Raymarine forum (http://forum.raymarine.com)
+-- Forum: Raymarine Forums (/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Networking / System Integration (/forumdisplay.php?fid=21)
+--- Thread: [CA] Simplify C120W System (/showthread.php?tid=5097)

[CA] Simplify C120W System - OLMako20 - 03-28-18 11:46 AM

I'm looking to simplify my current network and add a DSM300 to my C120W. This is how the network was when I purchased the boat and it functions OK. Given the C120W has 2 Seatalk HS ports, I plan on using those for the Radar and DSM300. My question is what is the preferred connection for the Raystar 120 since I will be eliminating the need for the Seatalk 1 to seatalk NG converter. Can I run it as depicted? or can I eliminate it all together (5-way and 12V) and run the GPS antenna directly to the C120W Seatalk NG Port?

RE: [CA] Simplify C120W System - Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator - 03-29-18 08:49 AM

Welcome to the Raymarine Forum OLMako20,

Please note that there are two issues with the Old System diagram:
1 - the Raystar 120 GPS Sensor is capable of supporting only SeaTalk or NMEA 0183 communications protocol. The Raystar 120 GPS Sensor does not support SeaTalkng communications. Accordingly, it may be interfaced to the system in one of the following manners:
----- interfaced to power and to the SeaTalk leads of the MFD's Power/NMEA 0183/Video Input Cable.
----- interfaced to power and the NMEA 0183 leads of the MFD's Power/NMEA 0183/Video Input Cable.
----- interfaced to the SeaTalk (yellow) socket of a SeaTalk to SeaTalkng Converter which is part of a powered and properly terminated SeaTalkng / NMEA 2000 backbone to which the MFD has been interfaced as a spur.

Should your external GPS Sensor be interfaced to a spur socket of a SeaTalkng 5-Way connector and should your MFD be receiving GPS data from the external GPS sensor (recommend verifying by configuring your MFD's internal GPS to OFF), then it is quite likely that the GPS sensor is a Raystar 130 GPS Sensor or a third party GPS sensor supporting NMEA 2000 communications. Accordingly, your simplified diagram will only work if the external GPS Sensor is a Raystar 130 GPS Sensor or a third party GPS sensor supporting NMEA 2000 communications.

2 - A powered and properly terminated SeaTalkng / NMEA 2000 backbone features only two termination plugs ... one in each of the system's two ending backbone sockets. Your backbone features four termination plugs

3 - SeaTalkng 5-Way Connectors and SeaTalk to SeaTalkng Converters are not designed to be interfaced to one another via a SeaTalkng Spur Cable. These SeaTalkng networking components are instead designed to be interfaced to one another via an appropriate length of SeaTalkng Backbone Cable.

Q1. My question is what is the preferred connection for the Raystar 120 since I will be eliminating the need for the Seatalk 1 to seatalk NG converter.
A1. See my response to Q1.

Q2. Can I run it as depicted?
A2. Not if the external GPS Sensor is a Raystar 125 GPS Sensor. The proposed solution may only be used if the external is a is a Raystar 130 GPS Sensor or a third party GPS sensor supporting NMEA 2000 communications ... see the response to Q1.

Q3. Can I eliminate it all together (5-way and 12V) and run the GPS antenna directly to the C120W Seatalk NG Port?
A3. Negative.

RE: [CA] Simplify C120W System - OLMako20 - 04-02-18 11:45 AM

Thank you Chuck! Upon further inspection it is in fact a Raystar 130. Would this be the correct setup? also if i wanted to keep the interface with the Raydata would i just add a backbone cable between the 5 way connector and converter?

RE: [CA] Simplify C120W System - Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator - 04-02-18 01:44 PM

OLMako20,

Q1. Upon further inspection it is in fact a Raystar 130. Would this be the correct setup?
A1. Should the GPS sensor indeed be a Raystar 130, then the New System diagram shown within your attachment would indeed be correct.

Q2. If i wanted to keep the interface with the Raydata would i just add a backbone cable between the 5 way connector and converter?
A2. Yes