Raymarine forum
[TG11] Add i50 data and Smart Controller to EV100 wheelpilot... is schematic correct? - Printable Version

+- Raymarine forum (http://forum.raymarine.com)
+-- Forum: Raymarine Forums (/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Networking / System Integration (/forumdisplay.php?fid=21)
+--- Thread: [TG11] Add i50 data and Smart Controller to EV100 wheelpilot... is schematic correct? (/showthread.php?tid=5558)

[TG11] Add i50 data and Smart Controller to EV100 wheelpilot... is schematic correct? - basssears - 05-24-18 11:55 AM

Have been doing my research here and with the manuals, and think I have the right setup figured out but was hoping to double check before I start ordering extra parts etc.

I started with no network at all, I just had i50 depth and i50 speed displays that had power coming to them and nothing else.

I have recently installed an EV100 wheelpilot, which gave me my first SeaTalkNG network. I used the "standard" installation for the EV100, here is link to schematic for original install (can't seem to attach images):
http://www.pictureofnectar.com/outside/base.png

I now would like to include a SmartController to control the autopilot with, and also bring my speed and depth data onto the network (speed so autopilot to work more precisely, and also speed and depth to go to the SmartController).

My plan is to add SeaTalkNG backbone to another T, with a spur cable going to the i50 depth and another spur cable going from i50 depth to i50 speed. Past the new T would be another backbone cable going to the SeaTalk & SeaTalkNG Converter (R52131). That converter would mostly be filled with blanking plugs, but would also have SeaTalk to SeaTalkNG cable (A22165) going to 3 way connector block (D244) which would have the SmartController base station plugged into it.

Here is link to my updated schematic:
http://www.pictureofnectar.com/outside/new.png

Does this look like the correct way to go about this? Did I miss anything?

Thanks in advance.

-- Bass

RE: Add i50 data and Smart Controller to EV100 wheelpilot... is schematic correct? - Tom - Raymarine - Moderator - 05-27-18 09:05 PM

Hello Bass,

Great description and drawings. Thank you - if only all support requests were as well put.

The only thing I'd say is that the total length of the spur cables to the i50 displays should be no more than 6m (more recent versions of the NMEA2000 specification discourage daisy-chaining as long cables or chains can cause unreliable comms.) The recommendation now is that each product is on its own spur back to the backbone.

Other than that, you have it spot on, and your system as-drawn will work fine as long as those spurs are a reasonable length.

Regards,
Tom

RE: [TG11] Add i50 data and Smart Controller to EV100 wheelpilot... is schematic correct? - basssears - 05-28-18 07:31 PM

Thanks Tom!

When I get tired and have hit my head a few times doing boat yoga, if I don't have something clear for myself I'll never sort it out, so I try to have good detailed schematics to start with.

Thank you for the heads up on the i50's. This is a small boat (32') so none of my runs are very long, but that also means it's pretty easy to just run each i50 off its own spur back to the backbone so I might just go that way.

Thanks again for the feedback.

-- Bass

RE: [TG11] Add i50 data and Smart Controller to EV100 wheelpilot... - basssears - 05-28-18 07:47 PM

(05-27-18 09:05 PM)Tom - Raymarine - Moderator Wrote:  The only thing I'd say is that the total length of the spur cables to the i50 displays should be no more than 6m (more recent versions of the NMEA2000 specification discourage daisy-chaining as long cables or chains can cause unreliable comms.) The recommendation now is that each product is on its own spur back to the backbone.

Well, might as well use the parts I'd be buying anyway! After reading your advice I looked at the layout a little more and it's easier to eliminate one T, use the ports on the SeaTalkNG to SeaTalk converter and eliminate the daisy chaining:
http://www.pictureofnectar.com/outside/new_v2.png

Should work great, thanks again for your help.

-- Bass

RE: [TG11] Add i50 data and Smart Controller to EV100 wheelpilot... is schematic correct? - Tom - Raymarine - Moderator - 05-28-18 10:08 PM

No problem.