Raymarine forum
[CA] [CA11] replace C80-help - Printable Version

+- Raymarine forum (http://forum.raymarine.com)
+-- Forum: Raymarine Forums (/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Multifunction Displays (/forumdisplay.php?fid=120)
+--- Thread: [CA] [CA11] replace C80-help (/showthread.php?tid=5616)

[CA11] replace C80-help - jbodell - 05-30-18 04:56 PM

I have a 2006 c80 Classic with a DSM 300 module, Rs232 (I have no idea what this does) and GPS. The gps also sends position data to my raymarine VHF. The boat is a small 22' center console so don't need any more functionality.

The c80 appears to be dying as the screen starts up grey and fades to black. If I bang it, the screen display pops back but splits in the middle. Sometimes it works just fine, too.

I am looking at replacement, and after reviewing the these forums, think I may be able to do the following and wanted to confirm.

Remove DSM 300 module and C80 display with all wiring. Remove RS232 and gps antenna.

Replace c80 with Axiom 9 DV (or do they only make RV in the 9?).

Get an adapter for the transducer A80485(?) and a face plate adapter (A80564).

Am I in the right ball park? I assume the transducer can direct connect to the axiom with the adapter, which would be a huge win for me as I would not have to run a wire and re-use the transducer saving money and a [censored] in the boat.

RE: [CA11] replace C80-help - Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator - 05-31-18 12:59 PM

Welcome to the Raymarine Forum jbodell,

Axiom 9 MFDs are only available in two versions:
- without internal fishfinder sonar circuity
- with internal RealVision / 600W 50kHz/200kHz fishfinder sonar circuitry

Accordingly, an Axiom 9 RV MFD would need to be purchased as a DV variant is not offered for 9" Axiom MFDs. Along with the MFD, an A80489 Transducer Adapter Cable to permit the currently fishfinder transducer to be used with the Axiom 9 RV MFD.

You are correct with regard to the adapter plate's part number.

RE: [CA11] replace C80-help - jbodell - 05-31-18 03:27 PM

So, the transducer adapter specified will work using my existing through hull transducer and the axiom 9 RV?

Awesome!

Can I connect the Axion 9 to my ray marine radio for Position data?

Thanks!

RE: [CA11] replace C80-help - Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator - 06-01-18 07:55 AM

jbodell,

Q1. So, the transducer adapter specified will work using my existing through hull transducer and the axiom 9 RV?
A1. Raymarine produced 600W, 1kW, and 2kW transducers which were designed for use with the DSM30/300. Should the existing transducer's cable have a plug which was designed to be mated directly to the DSM's Transducer socket, then using the previously specified adapter will permit the Axiom RV MFD to display the same type of 50kHz / 200kHz sonar imaging as had been provided by the DSM. The only caveat is that the internal sounder circuity of the Axiom RV MFDs is 600W as was that of the DSM30. As such, any 50kHz/200kHz transducer will be limited to transmitting 600W of power when interfaced to an Axiom RVs Transducer socket. Should one have a 1kW or 2kW 50kHz/200kHz transducer and desire to have it transmit 1kW of power, then it would be recommended that a CP370 Sounder Module be installed and interfaced to the Axiom RV MFD. I choosing to install a CP370 Sounder Module and not be interested in RealVision, SideVision, DownVision, or high CHIRP sonar image, then the previously referenced variant of the Axiom 9 MFD lacking internal fishfinder sounder circuitry would be recommended as a cost savings.

Q2. Can I connect the Axion 9 to my ray marine radio for Position data?
A2. Yes, but adaptation will be required if the VHF radio features a NMEA 0183 communications interface. An E70196 VHF NMEA 0183 to STng Converter Kit would typically be recommended for those seeking to supply GPS data to a DSC VHF radio.

RE: [CA11] replace C80-help - jbodell - 06-04-18 12:15 PM

All great info!

To take this in another direction:
If I decide to go Axiom 7 DV instead, is it the same adapter for the transducer?

Are the same interface components needed for a Raymarine VHF radio as specified previously in this thread?

Do they make a C80 to Axiom 7 adapter bezel? If so, part #?

In both axiom 7 and 9 configuration, how can I connect my above T-Top GPS antenna to either unit?

Thank you, going to order one of these units after you reply, appreciate it.

RE: [CA11] replace C80-help - Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator - 06-04-18 12:45 PM

jbodell,

Q1. If I decide to go Axiom 7 DV instead, is it the same adapter for the transducer?
A1. Negative. Should the existing transducer's cable have a plug which was designed to be mated directly to the DSM's Transducer socket, then using the A80485 Transducer Adapter will permit the Axiom DV MFD to display the same type of 50kHz / 200kHz sonar imaging as had been provided by the DSM.

Q2. Are the same interface components needed for a Raymarine VHF radio as specified previously in this thread?
A2. Yes.

Q3. Do they make a C80 to Axiom 7 adapter bezel? If so, part #?
A3. Negative. Raymarine only offers C80 to Axiom 9 Adapter Plates.

Q4. In both axiom 7 and 9 configuration, how can I connect my above T-Top GPS antenna to either unit?
A4. The currently installed model of GPS sensor has not been specified within your thread or subsequent posts. Should the currently installed GPS sensor be a Raystar 125 GPS Sensor, then an E22158 SeaTalk to SeaTalkng Converter Kit and D244 SeaTalk Junction Block will be required. The Raystar 125 GPS Sensor's Cable will be spliced to an appropriate length of SeaTalk Cable having a molded press-fit 3-pin plug. To do so,
- the RS125's red and green leads will be spliced to the red lead of the SeaTalk Cable
- the RS125's yellow lead will be spliced to the yellow lead of the SeaTalk Cable
- the RS125's brown & black/bare leads will be spliced to the shield/bare lead of the SeaTalk Cable
The cable assembly's molded press-fit 3-pin plug will be inserted into the socket of a D244 SeaTalk Junction block. The SeaTalk to SeaTalkng Converter Cable's molded press-fit 3-pin plug will also be connected to the aforementioned D244 SeaTalk Junction Block. The SeaTalk to SeaTalkng Converter Cable's yellow plug will be connected to the color coded SeaTalk socket of the second SeaTalk to SeaTalkng Converter.
- The MFD will be interfaced to one of the spur sockets of the SeaTalk to SeaTalkng Converter via an A06075 39.4in (1.0m) DeviceNet Female to SeaTalkng Spur Cable
- The SeaTalk to SeaTalkng Converter will be powered from a switched 12VDC power circuit using the SeaTalkng Power Cable supplied with the SeaTalk to SeaTalkng Converter Kit unless the aforementioned E70196 VHF NMEA 0183 to STng Converter Kit is also installed. In the case of the latter the SeaTalk to SeaTalkng Converter block included with both of these kit will be joined to one another with an appropriate length of SeaTalkng Backbone Cable.