Raymarine forum
[CA] [CA11] Navionics charts not available on second MFD - Printable Version

+- Raymarine forum (http://forum.raymarine.com)
+-- Forum: Raymarine Forums (/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Multifunction Displays (/forumdisplay.php?fid=120)
+--- Thread: [CA] [CA11] Navionics charts not available on second MFD (/showthread.php?tid=5887)

[CA11] Navionics charts not available on second MFD - CABrouwers - 06-24-18 09:05 PM

Detailed maps are only available on one of two networked MFDs
My sailboat is still equipped with its manufacturer installed electronics. The configuration includes two e95 networked thru seatalkHS. I updated the software to the latest revision of Lighthouse II (V19.03-00036). I also replace the micro-sd cartography card with a brand new Navionics platinum+ card. The master is defined on both MFD as the unit with the maps (was not changed since I bought the boat). The two MFDs do communicate, for example, trace, routes and waypoint saves on the second SD on the master are visible second MDF (the one not showing the detailed map).

The master offers 4 choices of maps: C-Map, Navionics, Sonar+ and Lighthouse. The second MFD only 3, Sonar+ are missing.

I don't know of the issue appeared when the software was upgraded, the maps were upgraded or before.

RE: [CA11] Navionics charts not available on second MFD - Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator - 06-26-18 10:27 AM

Welcome to the Raymarine Forum CABrouwers,

Should you be able to configure each MFD as a Data Master, then this would indicate that the two MFDs are not communicating with one another via an Ethernet communications network. Please click here to view a FAQ addressing how one may troubleshoot Ethernet network communications between a system's MFDs.

RE: [CA11] Navionics charts not available on second MFD - CABrouwers - 08-14-18 10:36 PM

I made a number of tests and believe if it could be a software bug.

1. I have established that the two MFDs are properly networked. a. If i try to select the master on either I can see them both. b. They share waypoints, routes, and tracks. c. if I manually disconnect the network cable, an error message on the slave warns me it has lost connection with the master.

2. I discovered two ways to force the slave to discover and display the maps available on the master: By rebooting the slave while the master is on or by disconnecting and reconnecting the network cable.

3. My hypothesis is that what happens is the following; when is switch on the power to the navigation system, both MFDs start concurrently; at some point, the slave looks for maps on the master but the master is not ready yet. The slave, however, does make any new attempt again until it is rebooted or the network is reconnected. (the data exchange protocol might be different in the details but similar in essence)

4. It looks to me it could be a software bug. I don't see a hardware explanation for the behavior and it started occurring after I upgrade the software.

RE: [CA11] Navionics charts not available on second MFD - Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator - 08-15-18 08:22 AM

CABrouwers,

Should you not have performed a System Settings & Data Reset (HOME->SET-UP->MAINTENANCE->SYSTEM SETTINGS & DATA RESET) after having performed the v19.03 software update, then it is recommended that your data and settings be backed of and that this command be executed ensure maximum performance of the system. My experience within a networked system of MFDs running the final LightHouse II software update (v19.03) (I have five on my boat) is that one should not attempt to interact with the system until ALL MFDs within the system have completed startup initialization. Please note that we have also seen some issues with Navionics chart cards which must be properly ejected (HOME->MY DATA->EJECT CARD) and then re-inserted before being recognized by the system.