Raymarine forum
[CA] [CA11] Unable to update Axiom from SD - Printable Version

+- Raymarine forum (http://forum.raymarine.com)
+-- Forum: Raymarine Forums (/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Multifunction Displays (/forumdisplay.php?fid=120)
+--- Thread: [CA] [CA11] Unable to update Axiom from SD (/showthread.php?tid=5959)

[CA11] Unable to update Axiom from SD - danderer - 07-01-18 12:50 PM

For the last several releases it seems I have been unable to update my Axioms from their SD card slot. What happens is I select the update to perform on the local MFD, it reboots, and the recovery screen appears with the message: Upgrade verification failed. Please confirm the files are not corrupted.

See https://youtu.be/VF2TCvXy2OI

I can however upgrade every other component from my network from this card in this MFD, including the other Ethernet-connected Axiom. So what I wind up doing is:

-- Insert card into MFD 1. Upgrade MFD 2 and all other connected components from MFD1 .
-- Move card to MFD 2. Upgrade MFD 1 from MFD 2.

A pain because the card slot on MFD 2 is not readily accessible.

The SD card is properly formatted as FAT32 and can seemingly be read by the LH3 software, but not by the boot loader/recovery process/local install process/whatever.

In thinking this through it occurs to me the SD card was created and the .iso files loaded on a Mac. Examining the contents of the card on a Windows VM reveals the Mac placed some hidden files on the card that evidently confuse the boot loader/recovery process/local install process/whatever, though LH3 can handle them.

Ideally the boot loader/recovery process/local install process/whatever should handle Mac-created updated cards. i haven't had a Windows PC for years and just keep a Windows VM capability for strange cases like this.

RE: [CA11] Unable to update Axiom from SD - Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator - 07-02-18 01:57 PM

Welcome back to the Raymarine Forum Dander,

Thank for investigating this issue so thoroughly. What version of software was in the MFD prior to attempting the software update?

RE: [CA11] Unable to update Axiom from SD - danderer - 07-02-18 03:47 PM

I've seen this behavior going from LH 3.3->3.4, 3.4->3.5 and 3.5->3.6 (beta).

Or is there a 'different' MFD version/id/number you'd like from the Product Info screen?

RE: [CA11] Unable to update Axiom from SD - Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator - 07-02-18 03:54 PM

Danderer,

Thanks for the additional information. I'll see if we can locate an Apple computer and then attempt to duplicate the problem.

RE: [CA11] Unable to update Axiom from SD - argus - 07-04-18 07:38 AM

I reported in thread A80440 RCR-SDUSB Operation with Navionics+ Chart Card - http://forum.raymarine.com/showthread.php?tid=5952; that I was having problems with the microSD cards with the bundled charts that came with my Axiom 12 and Axiom 7. The cards are now not recognized by either Axiom or a PC computer. I am also having a problem with the Navionics 906P+ U.S. Southeast to Bahamas Platinum+ Charts microSD Card not being recognized by Axiom on bootup. I purchased a new Navionics+ card that is working without problem. When I put the Navionics 906P+ back into the remote reader the problems reoccur. Navionics has agreed to repair the 906P+ card under warranty.

I now wondering, if I also am having problems with these 3 cards because I attempted to update them using a MAC computer?

RE: [CA11] Unable to update Axiom from SD - Dave - Raymarine - Moderator - 07-13-18 11:10 AM

Hello argus,

Updating a Navionics card using Mac OS should not effect the card's operation.

- Dave

RE: [CA11] Unable to update Axiom from SD - argus - 07-14-18 08:03 AM

Dave - Are you positive that the Mac is not modifying the file system making it unreadable by the Axioms? This is not the first time that I had have issues of this nature using a Mac with programs other than Apple programs.

All I can do is to explain my experiences. I have three chart cards (1-Navionics; 2-Raymarine LightHouse, C-Map bundled cards provided with new Raymarine MFDs) that cannot are not recognized by Axiom. I replaced the remote card reader with a new one, thinking that may be the problem. My primary computer is a MacBook Pro. All three cards were updated using the MacBook Pro and all three cards were unrecognized by both Axiom MFDs. Each MFD is connected to their own remote card reader. When I put the Navionics card in a Windows PC, the computer reported that there was a file error that needed to be repaired, I did a automated repair with the Windows PC and did a update to the Navionics card from the Navionics website. The Navionics card now is recognized by the Axiom MFDs.