Raymarine forum
[CA] [CA11] Help selecting the right equipment - Printable Version

+- Raymarine forum (http://forum.raymarine.com)
+-- Forum: Raymarine Forums (/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Product Selection Assistance (/forumdisplay.php?fid=124)
+--- Thread: [CA] [CA11] Help selecting the right equipment (/showthread.php?tid=6038)

[CA11] Help selecting the right equipment - cbuf - 07-09-18 09:10 AM

I have a 2008 everglades 325 with twin Yamaha 350’s about 19K lbs, that I’m planning on upgrading all my electronics.
I currently have 2 garmin 5212’s, a black box with a through hull transducer, multifunction display, an autopilot, icom vhf and a back up vhf, and an open 4 foot array. The radar has an error code of 6 which I have been told means Death, but was also told I could send it in for 500 they will repair it.

I’m used to humminbrid solix 12 fast displays on my other northern fishing boat, and a simrad on my deck boat, and the garmin just don’t perform like those other newer units. I’m doing research I really like the 3d real view mapping of the bottom, because I like to find and explore new fishing spots. I looked at the latest garmin 7612xsv, and I like the axiom better. However there are some many options and I’m lost.
1. I’m not sure if I should go regular axiom or Pro. The units are tucked under the tower and generally never get wet. We go out of marco island and go out about about 20 miles sometime up to 40 miles in about 80 – 100 feet. We also have been talking about heading down to the keys.

2. I’m not sure if I need a 4 foot array or just a 24 dome. Generally, we only go out about 40 miles, so is it worth it to go to the 4’ that goes out 72nm.

3. I’m not sure if I need a autopilot module or just let the axiom control the autopilot. Also, I’m also not sure which pump to get or if it will be compatible with the current pump.

4. Will the VFH integrate with the axiom for GPS?

5. My dads eyes aren’t what they used to be, on the Garmin they had really big menus to click, good for both bad eyes as well as bumpy rides. Do people with bad eyes complain about icon or text size? Is there an option to increase text size? I’m not sure if I can get away with one larger screen vs 2 12 inch screens. Are there benefits or draws backs of having one big unit vs 2 small units? Thinking (if it will fit) an axiom XL 16 or 19. Today we stick the map on one and the fish finders on the other.

6. Transducer options which one, and then which mount, Thuhull or transom mount. With dual engines can we even do a transom mount?

Thanks
Cbuf

RE: [CA11] Help selecting the right equipment - Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator - 07-25-18 10:58 AM

Welcome to the Raymarine Forum cbuf,

Please excuse this late response,

Q1. I’m not sure if I should go regular axiom or Pro. The units are tucked under the tower and generally never get wet. We go out of marco island and go out about about 20 miles sometime up to 40 miles in about 80 – 100 feet. We also have been talking about heading down to the keys.
A1. For this application, the primary discriminating features are the Axiom Pro MFD's HybridTouch user interface (touchscreen & buttons), front face access to the MFD's microSD memory card reader, and dual slot vs one slot memory card reader. Please click here to view a FAQ addressing when HybridTouch interfaces would be recommended.

Q2. I’m not sure if I need a 4 foot array or just a 24 dome. Generally, we only go out about 40 miles, so is it worth it to go to the 4’ that goes out 72nm.
A2. The primary advantage of the longer range radar system for an application such as yours would be ability to track weather at greater distances.

Q3. I’m not sure if I need a autopilot module or just let the axiom control the autopilot. Also, I’m also not sure which pump to get or if it will be compatible with the current pump.
A4. Should the current autopilot be operational and feature a NMEA 2000 and/or NMEA 0183 communication interface then it may well be possible to retain the currently installed autopilot. However, when used with a third party autopilot the MFD's Autopilot Controls feature may not be used. Instead, the autopilot's control head would be used to command the autopilot into its various modes (Standby, Auto, Track) as well as to configure the autopilot's settings. Any new autopilot purchase would begin with having one specify the cubic capacity of the vessel's steering ram.

Q4. Will the VFH integrate with the axiom for GPS?
A4. Both Axiom and Axiom Pro MFDs may supply GPS data to a VHF radio featuring a NMEA 2000 communications interface. However, should the VHF radio feature a NMEA 0183 communications interface then adaptation would be required to permit an Axiom MFD to supply GPS data to the VHF radio.

Q5. My dads eyes aren’t what they used to be, on the Garmin they had really big menus to click, good for both bad eyes as well as bumpy rides. Do people with bad eyes complain about icon or text size? Is there an option to increase text size? I’m not sure if I can get away with one larger screen vs 2 12 inch screens. Are there benefits or draws backs of having one big unit vs 2 small units? Thinking (if it will fit) an axiom XL 16 or 19. Today we stick the map on one and the fish finders on the other.
A5. While Raymarine's Axiom and Axiom MFDs do not offer options to change menu font sizes, we have received very few (I can only recall on such) requests to offer additional larger menu font options.

Q6. Transducer options which one, and then which mount, Thuhull or transom mount. With dual engines can we even do a transom mount?
A6. For vessels equipped with dual outboards, a transom mounted transducer would typically be installed between the outboards at the keel. However, a boat of this length would typically employ a RealVision Thru-hull pair unless the vessel is trailered or a lift would potentially cause damage to the thru-hull transducers.