Raymarine forum
[TG] [TG11] 2006 E120 with Radar - Printable Version

+- Raymarine forum (http://forum.raymarine.com)
+-- Forum: Raymarine Forums (/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Multifunction Displays (/forumdisplay.php?fid=120)
+--- Thread: [TG] [TG11] 2006 E120 with Radar (/showthread.php?tid=6144)

[TG11] 2006 E120 with Radar - popeye46 - 07-19-18 06:23 AM

Hello Sailors,

Bought a sailing cat 3 months ago, she has an E120 MFD with radar of 2006 vintage also has the usual ST60 gear and an interphase forward looking sonar. Cannot find the display for the interphase, when I bought the boat the previous owner did not know what it was and it was not included in the inventory.

I would like to have two totally independent Chartplotters so I plan to add an axiom 12 and a quantum 2 radar. If I can't get the interphase working I plan to have a new sonar system with a thru hull transducer interfaced with the Axiom.

Questions:

1. Can the quantum 2 interface with the old E120.

2. I plan to install the transducer about 18" aft of the rudder, any advice on this
would be appreciated

3. Anybody know about the interphase sonar, in Australia I am told they offer no
support after they were taken over by Garmin

4. Where can I get a can of spinach.

Popeye

RE: [TG11] 2006 E120 with Radar - Tom - Raymarine - Moderator - 07-19-18 06:57 PM

Hello Popeye,

1. No, I'm sorry to say that there's no way to get a Quantum to talk to anything earlier than Lighthouse2 displays, and in fact Quantum 2 will only work with Lighthouse 3. The earlier displays' software, pre-dating the Quantum, wouldn't recognise it as a radar.

2. The best place to install a transducer is forward of the keel if at all possible because of the turbulence that can come off the keel and disrupt the sounder performance.

3. I don't know any detail about the Interphase, but I thought that they had a composite video output that was commonly connected to E-series Classic generation displays. Maybe that's why you can't find a screen on-board.

4. I don't know about a can, but I have a bag of Woolies' finest in the office 'fridge for emergencies.

Tom

RE: [TG11] 2006 E120 with Radar - popeye46 - 07-21-18 03:05 AM

(07-19-18 06:57 PM)Tom - Raymarine - Moderator Wrote:  Hello Popeye,

1. No, I'm sorry to say that there's no way to get a Quantum to talk to anything earlier than Lighthouse2 displays, and in fact Quantum 2 will only work with Lighthouse 3. The earlier displays' software, pre-dating the Quantum, wouldn't recognise it as a radar.

2. The best place to install a transducer is forward of the keel if at all possible because of the turbulence that can come off the keel and disrupt the sounder performance.

3. I don't know any detail about the Interphase, but I thought that they had a composite video output that was commonly connected to E-series Classic generation displays. Maybe that's why you can't find a screen on-board.

4. I don't know about a can, but I have a bag of Woolies' finest in the office 'fridge for emergencies.

Tom

Thanks for that Tom, I managed to get the interphase forward looking sonar to work, it is excellent for manouveing around small reefs in the Great Barrier Reef. I got the Ray down vision transducer as a present from my son after I bought an Axiom 12 so I am thinking of having both the forward vision and the Ray down vision. (all my christmases have come at once).

Question:
The forward sonar has dome like transducers just forward of the keel and one on each hull (the boat is a Cat) if I mount the Ray transducer forward of the interphase transducers will I experience interference between the different transducers. If so the only other option is to mount the Ray transducers just aft of the rudder. The Ray transducer I have is the bronze thru hull type not the R100 which are usually mounted on the transom of trailable boats.
Your thoughts please Tom
Popeye

RE: [TG11] 2006 E120 with Radar - Tom - Raymarine - Moderator - 07-22-18 07:45 PM

Hello Popeye,

Interference between the transducers won't be hugely affected by the location that you mount the RV types, because most of the interference usually comes from the echo coming back from the bottom, which is wide-spread and not as focussed as the outgoing pulse.

The problem you'll have if you mount either one straight forward of the other is a high likelihood of turbulent, aerated water from the upstream transducer blocking the echoes coming back to the downstream transducer. In addition, if you install the RV upstream of the FLS transducers then I suspect that there's a chance that the RVs might block some of the view of the FLS transducers.
Installing the RV transducers aft of the rudders is likely to give poor RV performance because of the turbulence off the rudders; I'd say that your best bet is likely to be a tilted-element RV pair mounted off to the side of the FLS transducers. If this isn't an option then personally I think I'd install the RVs a bit upstream of the FLS transducers, on the assumption that you'd be using the RVs when at higher speeds and the FLS only when going very slowly (and that the RVs are probably a lot more hydrodynamic.)

Regards,
Tom