Raymarine forum
Adding a 2nd A78 mfd with wifi - Printable Version

+- Raymarine forum (http://forum.raymarine.com)
+-- Forum: Raymarine Forums (/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Multifunction Displays (/forumdisplay.php?fid=120)
+--- Thread: Adding a 2nd A78 mfd with wifi (/showthread.php?tid=661)

Adding a 2nd A78 mfd with wifi - roch1213@aol.com - 04-25-16 04:51 PM

I have added a 2nd A78 with wifi to my boat console and would like them to communicate between each other. WIFI coms does not work. All connections are full in the existing A78. I currently run radar, external gps, and two transducers, one with a dsm. The seatalk connection is used so I cant use seatalk between the units(is there a Y connector?). I think there is an enet switch with 2 of the 4 connections remaining. How do you suggest I get both units working simultaneously.

RE: Adding a 2nd A78 mfd with wifi - Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator - 04-26-16 01:41 PM

Welcome to the Raymarine Forum roch1213,

It is not possible to interface the MFDs to one another via Wi-Fi. However, given the equipment which you have listed, I suspect that you will find that the first MFD has been interfaced to a HS5 RayNet Network Switch, to which the radome and DSM have also been interfaced. To interfaced the second MFD to this system, you need simply connect its Ethernet (RayNet) Network socket to one of the remaining Ethernet Network sockets of the HS5 RayNet Network Switch via an appropriate length of Raymarine’s web site.

RE: Adding a 2nd A78 mfd with wifi - iplat - 02-15-17 03:54 PM

There is another set of equipment, but question regarding similar idea.
We have two e125 and one Quantum radar with only Wi-Fi connection going to be installed.
Can radar be as Ethernet switch for both MFDs to share radar picture, and other traffic between both MFDs?

The reason for that is installation on sail boat with pods on rails. All cable are passed inside of rails, which
are not designed for passing Raynet to Raynet cable with bulky 18 mm connectors on the ends.
Cutting and splicing cable is also bad idea, at least because of loosing warranty.

RE: Adding a 2nd A78 mfd with wifi - Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator - 02-15-17 04:32 PM

Welcome to the Raymarine Forum iplat,

Unfortunately, it is not possible to do as you have suggested. At the time of this response, the two MFDs would need to be interfaced to one another via a cabled Ethernet connection. Unfortunately, there would be little choice but to remove the plug from one end of a RayNet (F) to RayNet (F) Cable should you be unable to chase the cable's plugs through the tubing. You may want to consider obtaining a RayNet (F) to RayNet (F) Cable which is slightly longer than necessary to span the cable chasing distance between the two MFDs. One of the cable's plugs may then be cut off to permit the cable to be chased ... although not recommended unless absolutely necessary, it is not uncommon for this to occur. After chasing the cable, a shielded RJ45 plug may then be installed onto end of the cable from which the plug had been removed. An A80247 RayNet (F) to RJ45 (F) Adapter would then be used to complete the interface between the two MFDs. For equipment which will be installed by the owner, the only product for which warranty would potentially be impacted would be the cable itself ... as the cable is only responsible for carrying signal, not power. In a nutshell, should any communications issues arise following the installation, the problem would be fault isolated by testing the MFDs using an unmodified cable to perform a temporary connection between the products. The products function correctly using the unmodified cable, then the fault would be isolated to the modified cable and Raymarine would not be responsible for replacing the modified cable.

RE: Adding a 2nd A78 mfd with wifi - iplat - 02-15-17 05:00 PM

Thanks for great solution. A80247 is must have on most installation, especially with wired radars. Will make a note to have it essential.

RE: Adding a 2nd A78 mfd with wifi - iplat - 02-15-17 05:05 PM

I haven't cut yet any Raynet to Raynet cables, what it pinout from RJ45 side?

RE: Adding a 2nd A78 mfd with wifi - Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator - 02-16-17 09:30 AM

Please click here to view a FAQ providing a link to the type of RJ45 termination used within Ethernet cables sold by Raymarine. You're welcome.