Raymarine forum
[CA] [CA11] Old ST60 and ST40 replacement by new i50 and i40 issues - Printable Version

+- Raymarine forum (http://forum.raymarine.com)
+-- Forum: Raymarine Forums (/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Instruments (/forumdisplay.php?fid=117)
+--- Thread: [CA] [CA11] Old ST60 and ST40 replacement by new i50 and i40 issues (/showthread.php?tid=6707)

[CA11] Old ST60 and ST40 replacement by new i50 and i40 issues - TLS - 10-03-18 07:00 PM

Gentlemen,

For almost 8 years I had an (now) old set of a ST60+tridata and a ST40wind wired by seatalk1. Also wired by seatalk1 I have a autopilot ST1000+ and a garmins GPS in such a way that autopilot can follow the compass, maintain the wind direction or steer to the active GPS waypoint. Also the power (12VDC) comes from sealtalk1.

Please see attached file "Old_Instruments.jpg".

But the ST60 and ST40 displays got damaged (cracks on the displays and many segments missing) then I replaced them with a i50tridata and i40wind. I kept the old sensors (speed, depth and wind) as well as the ST1000+ autopilot and the garmin GPS.

I also got a cable adapter for connecting the i50 to the i40 (seatalk1 to seatalkng).

Please see the attached file "New_Instruments.jpg".

The speed, depth and wind sensors remained the same.

But I forgot that the power connection, ST1000+ autopilot and the Garmin GPS remained on the boat wired by seatalk1. So I ended up with a seatalk1 connector on the boat side and a seatalkng connector on the ne i50tridata.

I checked the electrical continuity of the seatalk1 to seatalkng cable adapter so that I know the correspondence between the seatalk1 and seatalkng pins. So that I am figuring out that I can make a homemade seatalk1 to seatalkng adapter.

Please see the attached file "homemade Seatalk1 to NG adapter.png"

Worth mentioning that I live in Brazil and there is no stock of Raymarine adapters here (as far as I know).

Would you please confirm that my homemade adapter will work fine?
Or please help me to solve this issue.

Thanks in advance

Thomas Shaw

RE: [CA11] Old ST60 and ST40 replacement by new i50 and i40 issues - Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator - 10-04-18 02:05 PM

Welcome to the Raymarine Forum Thomas,

It would typically be considered a best installation practice to additionally purchase a pair of A06047 0.4m SeaTalk to SeaTalkng Socket Adapters and a D244 SeaTalk Junction Block when considering to add these two instruments to an existing SeaTalk bus. Doing so would then permit simple plug/socket connections to be made. However, as you have suggested, it would be technically possible splice a SeaTalkng Spur to a SeaTalk cable in the manner which you have suggested to create the required adaptation.