Raymarine forum
[CA] [CA11] e7 not seeing AIS & autopilot - Printable Version

+- Raymarine forum (http://forum.raymarine.com)
+-- Forum: Raymarine Forums (/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Multifunction Displays (/forumdisplay.php?fid=120)
+--- Thread: [CA] [CA11] e7 not seeing AIS & autopilot (/showthread.php?tid=6924)

[CA11] e7 not seeing AIS & autopilot - kalakai - 11-13-18 03:50 PM

I have the following:

e7 (v. 17.46)
E120 (v. 2.65)
P70R autopilot control head
ACU 200 autopilot actuator control unit
AIS650
ST60 depth/speed display
ST30 depth/speed display
RS130 antenna

All connected to seatalk backbone (I don't know if I'm using correct terminology, but all of the newer items are connected with a seatalk backbone cable, older units with the old style seatalk cable)

E120 see everything (depth, speed, AIS, autopilot control)
also sees GPS antenna from e7
e7 sees depth, speed, course/wpt info from the E12, but
does not show AIS does not see autopilot or heading

I posted on this over a year ago and got sidetracked, but am trying again to get it working. In the earlier post someone said I needed to go back to an earlier software version on the e7 for it to work with my AIS and autopilot.

So my questions now are:

* Can I make the e7 operate the autopilot?
* Can I make the e7 display AIS info?
* What kind of radar can I add that will overlay on both units (if any)?

or

do I just need to replace the E120 with a newer version to plays better with the e7?

I attached a few pics to the post for reference, but they will not 'insert into post'.

RE: [CA11] e7 not seeing AIS & autopilot - Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator - 11-13-18 05:25 PM

Welcome to the Raymarine Forum kalakai,

General comment concerning the vessel's equipment list:
- it appears that the system features an E120W MFD, not an E120 MFD

- The system must feature Raymarine's SeaTalk to SeaTalkng Converter Kit and not simply a SeaTalk to SeaTalkng Adapter Cable. Additionally, ST30 instruments are not supported for use with the SeaTalk to SeaTalkng Converter Kit.

- the e7 MFD is not operating with the final LightHouse II software update, and its software should accordingly be updated to v19.03

- the e7 MFD's transducer status AIS icon should not be used for determination of whether the e7 MFD is communicating with the AIS650. This may be achieved by examining the e7 MFD's Select Devices List.

- the AIS650's software level has not been specified. Its current software level may be determined via the e7 MFD's Select Devices List. If found not to be current, the the AIS650's software should be updated via a SD memory card with the latest AIS650 software.

- as E-Series Widescreen MFDs did not support multiple data sources, the e7 MFD's internal GPS receiver should be configured OFF to permit the system to utilize the Raystar 130 GPS Sensor. Failure to perform such may cause the system to report loss of connection with the system's AIS receiver / transceiver as well as reporting intermittent loss of GPS.

- As indicated above, the system must feature a SeaTalk to SeaTalkng Converter Kit. This kit must be updated with the latest available SeaTalk to SeaTalkng Converter software to support proper operation within the system. Please note that the downloaded e7 MFD's software update compressed folder includes files to update not only the MFD, but also the SeaTalk to SeaTalkng Converter (assumed), Raystar 130 GPS Sensor, EV-1 CCU, ACU-200, and p70R. Accordingly, the SeaTalk to SeaTalkng Converter's software should be updated with the latest software.

- As indicated above, the downloaded e7 MFD's software update compressed folder includes files to update many devices within your system. When updating an Evolution autopilot's software, care must be taken to not select the ACU or autopilot control head (p70/p70R/p70S/p70RS) within the initial set of software updates to be performed. After the initial round of software updates, the e7 MFD should be commanded again to check the card for updates, at which time the ACU or autopilot control head should be selected to be updated.

- After the Evolution autopilot's software has been updated, the autopilot must be commanded to perform a Pilot Factory Reset, the Dockside Wizard must be executed again, and then the vessel must be taken on a short cruise to determine sensed magnetic deviation. Please click here to view a FAQ addressing this subject.

Q1. Can I make the e7 operate the autopilot?
A1. Yes. See the recommendations above. Like the SeaTalk to SeaTalkng Converter, communications with the autopilot components are verified by examining the MFD's Select Devices List. Only compatible SeaTalkng and Ethernet devices will be listed. In this case, the p70R, EV-1 CCU, and ACU200 should each be listed.

Q2. Can I make the e7 display AIS info?
A2. Yes. Each MFDs should be able to access AIS data from the system's SeaTalkng / NMEA 2000 backbone. One need simply configure the AIS layer to ON within the MFD's Chart application

Q3. What kind of radar can I add that will overlay on both units (if any)? or do I just need to replace the E120 with a newer version to plays better with the e7?
A3. It is not possible for MFDs running LightHouse II software (ex. e7 MFD) to be interfaced to an Ethernet network which also includes prior generations of MFDs. Should it be desired to have all system resource available to two or more MFDs, then it would be recommended the E120W be replaced with an eS127, eS128, or gS125. Only one of the system's MFDs would then need to be interfaced to the SeaTalkng / NMEA 2000, as all system information and resources would then be shared between the MFDs via the system's Ethernet network. The photo of the power/interface panel of the E120W show an Ethernet (SeaTalkhs) cable connected to the MFD. What is the other end of this cable connected to?

Regarding compatible radar scanners, MFDs running the latest available LightHouse II software are compatible with any radome or open array pedestal currently manufactured by Raymarine (Quantum II radomes excluded).