Raymarine forum
[CA] [CA11] VHF radio won't interface with NMEA 2000 / MFD's - Printable Version

+- Raymarine forum (http://forum.raymarine.com)
+-- Forum: Raymarine Forums (/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Networking / System Integration (/forumdisplay.php?fid=21)
+--- Thread: [CA] [CA11] VHF radio won't interface with NMEA 2000 / MFD's (/showthread.php?tid=7039)

[CA11] VHF radio won't interface with NMEA 2000 / MFD's - OneandAll - 12-11-18 11:25 AM

I purchased a new Standard Horizon Quantum GX6000 VHF radio, which has a NMEA connection on the back panel. I purchased the correct SeaTalk ng spur cable to connect the radio to my Raymarine networked MFD's (e125 / a65 / a68 / p70r / Evolution autopilot / ACU 200 / i70 / Raymarine SeaTalk1 to SeaTalkng converter / HS5 network switch / Lighthouse 19 latest version. The GX6000 has the latest versions of their firmware.

However, I cannot get a GPS reading on the VHF. The diagnostic screen for devices on my a68 "master" shows it "sees" the VHF, but that's it.

Appreciate any help or advice please!

RE: [CA11] VHF radio won't interface with NMEA 2000 / MFD's - Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator - 12-11-18 03:51 PM

Welcome to the Raymarine Forum OneandAll,

This may be a better question better addressed to Standard Horizon's support team. You may want to start with Chapter 18.1 Order of Priority of the SH GX6000's Owner's Manual.

Based upon the Select Devices List, the GX6000 is most definitely being seen on the backbone. With respect to MFD configuration settings and SeaTalkng / NMEA 2000 communications, the only thing which one must be concerned with is configuring the Data Sources feature to specify which of the systems's GPS receivers (there are at least three of them listed) will be used by the system. Generally, one will choose the GPS receiver which has been afforded the most unobstructed view of the skies overhead. This same device should be selected as the GPS Datum and Time/Date data source. Data is broadcast onto the SeaTalkng / NMEA 2000 backbone and any devices capable of retrieving GPS data from a NMEA 2000 backbone may access it without any further configuration settings within the Raymarine system. Accordingly, should other devices on the SeaTalkng backbone be receiving GPS data (ex. i70 MFID, etc.), then the Raymarine system would be deemed to be functioning properly and attention should then be turned to the SH GX6000.

RE: [CA11] VHF radio won't interface with NMEA 2000 / MFD's - OneandAll - 12-11-18 05:08 PM

Thanks Chuck - I've reached to SH tech support also. Will revert if I find out something. I'm sure I can't be the only one.....

PANBO had some chat / feedback on their review. Trying the Center Consoles Only Group on Facebook too.

RE: [CA11] VHF radio won't interface with NMEA 2000 / MFD's - Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator - 12-11-18 05:11 PM

OneandAll,

You're welcome. I would reference this thread when speaking with SH's support team.

RE: [CA11] VHF radio won't interface with NMEA 2000 / MFD's - jefti - 05-07-19 06:41 AM

Hi,

I ran into the same problem. The internal GPS of an AXIOM 9 RV does not work for transferring GPS data to a SH GX6000. I've added a Lowrance Point-1 to the system and this does work.

The SH manual states that it needs to receive PGN 129540 (GNSS Sats is View). I suspect that the internal GPS receiver does not output this PGN to the NMEA2K network. Is this correct? Maybe this could be revised in an update.

RE: [CA11] VHF radio won't interface with NMEA 2000 / MFD's - Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator - 05-07-19 08:39 AM

Jefti,

In fact the Axiom and Axiom Pro MFDs are designed to not only receive PGN 129540 (GNSS Sats is View), but to also transmit this PGN. Prior to posting this response, I verified that not only does Appendix B NMEA 2000 PGN support of the LightHouse 3.9 Advanced Operation Instructions indicate that this PGN is transmitted, but also the Axiom / Axiom Pro MFDs are performing as stated within this document with respect to the transmission of this PGN. No configuration of the MFD need be or is provided to configure which NMEA 2000 PGNs will be transmitted and received by the MFD. In short, if the MFD has the required data to transmit the corresponding NMEA 2000 PGN and the PGN is supported for transmission, then the PGN will be transmitted.

In any such cases when troubleshooting communications of data via a NMEA 2000 communications backbone, it is often advisable and sometimes necessary to interface a NMEA 2000 analyzing tool (ex. Actisense NGT-1 (NMEA 2000 to USB Adapter) with Actisense's free NMEA Reader computer software) to the system's NMEA 2000 backbone to monitor traffic on the NMEA 2000 network. As you can see from the screen snapshot of the NMEA Reader application below taken from a system which was utilizing an Axiom MFD as its GPS data source, PGN 129540 is indeed being transmitted by the MFD.

[Image: attachment.php?aid=2977]

Should the problem persist and should you have verified that both the system's Data Master Axiom MFD (running the latest available software) and the SH radio (also running the latest available software) have each been interfaced as individual spurs to the system's powered and properly terminated SeaTalkng / NMEA 2000 backbone, then it would be recommended that SH be contacted and provided with this information.

RE: [CA11] VHF radio won't interface with NMEA 2000 / MFD's - OneandAll - 05-07-19 04:04 PM

I ended up buying an ICOM 506 which drops in (almost) the same [censored] as the SH GX6000. I plugged in the NMEA 2000 to my SeaTalkng network, powered on and everything worked immediately. Conclusion - it's not my network. It's the SH GX6000 that is not compatible with Raymarine in some way, shape or form. I have since added the Raymarine AIS700 Class B transceiver, which is fabulous.

That leaves me then with a nice expensive door stopper (the GX6000), which I'm going to install in my overhead box as a redundant VHF #2. I intend to have it as a standalone independent AIS (receiving only) with its own AIS Antenna and for VHF use, connected to a Shakespeare switch and the shared VHF Phase III Galaxy antenna. I may try connecting the NMEA 0183 wires to one of my MFD's, just to see if that works - an experimental "test". If it does not I'll have to spend more $$$ for the SH GPS antennna the GX6000 requires in order to get GPS coords to the radio. Ah well.......at least I've got good VHF capabilities, but this has been an absolute pain - and an expensive one at that!

RE: [CA11] VHF radio won't interface with NMEA 2000 / MFD's - Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator - 05-08-19 07:55 AM

OneandAll,

Noted and thanks for the additional information.