Raymarine forum
[CA] [CA11] i60 wind giving incorrect wind data - Printable Version

+- Raymarine forum (http://forum.raymarine.com)
+-- Forum: Raymarine Forums (/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Instruments (/forumdisplay.php?fid=117)
+--- Thread: [CA] [CA11] i60 wind giving incorrect wind data (/showthread.php?tid=8474)

Pages: 1 2

[CA11] i60 wind giving incorrect wind data - browerd - 06-06-19 07:44 AM

Every so often my i60 wind speed goes from the "actual" wind speed to 30 or 40 kts then after a while goes back to normal.

My system consists of the i60 with transducer, an EV1 with a P70, an i40 and a Sea Talk to Sea Talk ng converter. The system was working fine until about 8 months ago when I had a nearby lightening strike. (The auto pilot is working fine as is the i40 and the P70 is displaying data from the i40) This nearby strike caused the i60 to not work properly, the local Raymarine dealer came out; to make a long story short the i60 has been replaced 3 times and the wind transducer has been replaced at least twice, new wires were run from the transducer but I am still suffering the above stated problem. I have tried a factory reset to re-linearize the transducer but I have not been able to get it to do that.

Is there anything I can do to resolve this problem?

Thank You

RE: [CA11] i60 wind giving incorrect wind data - Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator - 06-06-19 12:40 PM

Welcome to the Raymarine Forum browerd,

If the transducer's leads have been directly interfaced to the instrument's transducer terminals, then the key to initiating a Factory Reset is to simultaneously press and hold the instrument's POWER and TRUE/APP buttons. After approximately 12 seconds, the instruments screen should have cycled through CAL, GRP, and then display DLR. At that point, simultaneously press and release the VMG and TACK buttons ... UC1 will be displayed. Press the DISPLAY button five times until FO is displayed. Press the TACK button one time ... F1 is displayed. Simultaneously press the press the POWER and TRUE/APP buttons and hold pressed for two seconds until you observe the instrument reset.

RE: [CA11] i60 wind giving incorrect wind data - browerd - 06-07-19 07:28 AM

Yes I have done that several times and CAL flashes and I make the circles sometimes it give me the 3 beeps indicating that it has worked, however it does not stop the false readings. Other times it never gives me the three beeps. It appears that linerising might not be the problem.

RE: [CA11] i60 wind giving incorrect wind data - Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator - 06-07-19 08:14 AM

browerd,

Did you perform the factory reset per the instructions provided within my initial response?

RE: [CA11] i60 wind giving incorrect wind data - browerd - 06-07-19 08:39 AM

Yes

RE: [CA11] i60 wind giving incorrect wind data - Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator - 06-07-19 10:43 AM

browerd,

This is indeed quite odd, but may be indicative of interference from another device. I would accordingly be recommended that all ships systems (to include engines, generators, and inverters) and devices be shut down except for the instrument and that the system be tested again. Please respond with your findings.

RE: [CA11] i60 wind giving incorrect wind data - browerd - 06-08-19 06:12 AM

I wasn't able to make the circles without the engine on so I wasn't able to re-lineralise the the transducer. I was however able to do a factory reset (as I have done several times prior). With nothing else on BOTH BEFORE AND AFTER the factory reset the i60 would read normal and then all of sudden give readings like 30 or 40 knots. As stated in my initial post the system worked perfect prior to the "event", after nothing was changed other than i60 components (several times including cabling)

RE: [CA11] i60 wind giving incorrect wind data - Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator - 06-10-19 12:29 PM

browerd,

As you have stated that you have changed all of the wind devices within the system, it is possible that one of the remaining devices or other device onboard the vessel may be responsible for the reported issue. To determine whether the latter may be causing the symptom, it would be recommended that the i60 Wind alone be powered on and that all other circuits, inverters, etc. onboard be switched OFF. Should the i60 Wind continue to exhibit this behavior, then please respond accordingly. However, should the i60 Wind not continue to exhibit the symptom, then devices would be individually added back into the system until the problem manifests itself again ... thereby identifying the problematic device.

RE: [CA11] i60 wind giving incorrect wind data - browerd - 06-12-19 07:26 AM

I just "tested" the i-60 everything other than the Raymarine network was turned off at the circuit breakers, engine off. The i-60 was reading about 4 kts apparent wind which was about correct. Then all of a sudden the speed popped up to 10kts (there wasn't any gusts that would justify this reading) eventually it went back to reading approx 4 kts it stayed there for a short while and went to 8kts and bounced around in that area, again no gusts, it settled back down but then popped up to 14.4 kts.

I'm just wondering could it be possible that the SeaTalk-SeaTalk ng is causing the problem I don't think so as data from the i-40 is repeated on P70 and appears correct.

RE: [CA11] i60 wind giving incorrect wind data - Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator - 06-12-19 08:02 AM

Q. I'm just wondering could it be possible that the SeaTalk-SeaTalk ng is causing the problem I don't think so as data from the i-40 is repeated on P70 and appears correct.
A. Possibly. Some devices communicate with the backbone even when switched OFF and the ST-STng converter's processor operates whenever the backbone is powered. The absolute test would involve testing the i60 Wind instrument in a purely stand alone manner ... unplug the i40 from the ST-STng Converter, unplug the autopilot components (EV-1, ACU, and p70) from the backbone, and replace the ST-STng Converter with a STng 5-Way Connector. Alternatively, disconnect the ST60 Wind from all other devices within the system and power it from a SeaTalkng Power Cable.