Raymarine forum
[CA] [CA11] Flir t-450 up/down makes grinding noise - Printable Version

+- Raymarine forum (http://forum.raymarine.com)
+-- Forum: Raymarine Forums (/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Thermal Cameras (/forumdisplay.php?fid=127)
+--- Thread: [CA] [CA11] Flir t-450 up/down makes grinding noise (/showthread.php?tid=8958)

[CA11] Flir t-450 up/down makes grinding noise - rreimann - 07-21-19 02:47 PM

My T-450 dual after winter storage makes a grinding noise when the camera moves the lens down to lowest position.

I also discovered that this grinding noise also resets the camera's range of vertical motion.

I can still rotate 360 horizontally, and vertical motion also works but the range is restricted due to this issue.

For example if I cannot raise the camera high enough to view water in front of boat, if I lower it until it "grinds" for 1 second then raise it it goes higher and gives me the view I want.

When the unit does it's self power up test I can tell it gets confused about how to position the lens vertically once it is done with self test.

It is possible the unit got stressed or slightly bumped or struck over the winter, but not certain.

Is there anything I can self diagnose?

RE: [CA11] Flir t-450 up/down makes grinding noise - Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator - 07-25-19 12:56 PM

Welcome to the Raymarine Forum rreimann,

Unfortunately, there's nothing in the way of settings or diagnostics which would correct or shed light on the cause of the reported issue which appears to be related to physical damage or failure of a moving part. It is recommended that the thermal camera be sent to FLIR's / Raymarine’s Product Repair Center to be bench checked / serviced.

RE: [CA11] Flir t-450 up/down makes grinding noise - rreimann - 08-04-19 01:33 PM

Resolution! On a hunch I gently manually moved the camera's vertical orientation as far as it would go in one direction, then restarted it. It worked normally with full movement and no issues.

RE: [CA11] Flir t-450 up/down makes grinding noise - Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator - 08-05-19 08:24 AM

rreimann,

We're glad to learn of the reported success. However, should the problem persist, then it would indicate a mechanical failure necessitating that the thermal camera be sent FLIR's / Raymarine’s Product Repair Center to be bench checked / serviced.