Raymarine forum
[CA] [CA11] Questions about AIS on legacy C120 - Printable Version

+- Raymarine forum (http://forum.raymarine.com)
+-- Forum: Raymarine Forums (/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Multifunction Displays (/forumdisplay.php?fid=120)
+--- Thread: [CA] [CA11] Questions about AIS on legacy C120 (/showthread.php?tid=8981)

[CA11] Questions about AIS on legacy C120 - CaptNorm - 07-22-19 04:24 PM

On my C120, I'm running f/w 5.16 and have 2 questions:
1. I'm driving AIS with a Standard Horizon GX2150 radio. Almost everything works perfectly: see targets, ais list... Qhe question: I don't see virtual ais targets like mmsi 993692036. If I connect a pc to the 2150 38,400 baud output and bring up OpenCPN, I see 6 or so similar virtual targets. What I suspect, the c120 is not displaying 99X mmsi targets. Can you think of anything I can try or look into?

2. In using my GX2150 to drive ais on my c120, I can see myself as I transmit ais class b with a em-trak b100 transceiver. Much of the time I see a ghost image of myself along with my boat name, what I expect. Then, at random times, all boat names disappear and all I see are mmsi numbers. This is after hours of everything being on. It looks like I lose static data but continue to see real time ais data. After random times, boat names re-show up in AIS LIST. Any idea why names disappear?

Thanks

RE: [CA11] Questions about AIS on legacy C120 - Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator - 07-26-19 03:20 PM

Welcome to the Raymarine Forum Norm,

Q1. I don't see virtual ais targets like mmsi 993692036.
A1. The C-Series Classic MFDs were among Raymarine's early product to support AIS. However, AIS AToNs (99) were not among the AIS objects supported by C-Series Classic MFD software.

Q2. At random times, all boat names disappear and all I see are mmsi numbers. This is after hours of everything being on. It looks like I lose static data but continue to see real time ais data. After random times, boat names re-show up in AIS LIST. Any idea why names disappear?
A2. I haven't heard of this issue before, but it may be related to the MFD displaying ownship target information. Should you also own the em-trak transceiver, then I would recommend that you consider interfacing the em-trak transceiver to the MFD rather than the GX2150. Doing so will eliminate plotting own vessel and may also address this symptom.