Raymarine forum
[CA] [CA11] Backward compatibility - Printable Version

+- Raymarine forum (http://forum.raymarine.com)
+-- Forum: Raymarine Forums (/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Multifunction Displays (/forumdisplay.php?fid=120)
+--- Thread: [CA] [CA11] Backward compatibility (/showthread.php?tid=9060)

[CA11] Backward compatibility - Seacat69 - 07-28-19 01:24 PM

Hi,
I have just bought a sailboat with different Raymarine equipment onboard. Most of them installed in 2011.
* C90W chart plotter
* ST70 instruments (4x)
* Wind sensor
* Depth/log/temp sensor
* Fluxgate compass
* Smartpilot X30
* AIS650 (new 2018)

I believe that an authorised Raymarine company did some system upgrade in 2018. The boat has now the SealkNG network to all equipment.

I have bought an upgrade of the C90W which is an Axiom 9 MFD. I have upgraded the Axiom with latest SW. The C90W has been replaced.

But connecting the Axiom to the network did not go as well as I was told by the salesman of the Raymarine equipment.

I got the depth measurements and AIS information up all right.

But the Axiom MFD then took the heading from what I assumed to be the fluxgate compass and when I tried to manually set heading source in the MFD I got an error message stating that “manual selecting source of heading is not supported while the following devices are on the network:
E22158 Seatalk STNG converter .....”

Q1: I assume that the FW of the old instruments has to be updated to be compatible with the Axiom MFD Lighthouse III SW ?

Q2: Can you give me a link to a procedure (or other) which states how to upgrade (SW/FW) an older system to work with new Axiom MFD ?

Q3: Can you provide me with a link to a easy-to-follow procedure (or other) to commission the different sensors and autopilot in my system ?

RE: [CA11] Backward compatibility - Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator - 08-02-19 09:47 AM

Welcome to the Raymarine Forum Seacat69,

It is only necessary to utilize the Data Sources feature when the system features more than one source of GPS, heading, wind, depth, speed, date/time, or datum. Your system does not. When updated with the latest available software for the SeaTalk to SeaTalkng Converter (it is not clear what role this is playing within the current system), it will not block data source selection. However, as indicated within the FAQ found here, ST70 devices and SPX autopilot course computers will block data source selection.

Q1: I assume that the FW of the old instruments has to be updated to be compatible with the Axiom MFD Lighthouse III SW ?
A11 It is indeed correct that not only should the ST70 instrument displays be updated with the latest available software, but also the SeaTalk to SeaTalkng Converter and the autopilot components must also be updated with the latest available software. Please note that Axiom/Axiom XL/Axiom Pro MFDs cannot update the software within ST70 instrument displays, ST70 Autopilot Control Heads, and SPX Autopilot Course Computers. Please click here to view a FAQ addressing options for updating the software within ST70 devices and SPX autopilot course computers.

Q2: Can you give me a link to a procedure (or other) which states how to upgrade (SW/FW) an older system to work with new Axiom MFD ?
A2. See the response to Q1.

Q3: Can you provide me with a link to a easy-to-follow procedure (or other) to commission the different sensors and autopilot in my system ?
A3. Instrument calibration of the wind and speed transducers via a ST70 instrument display is detailed within Chapter 2.2 Seatrial calibration of the ST70 Instrument User Reference. Instrument calibration of the wind and speed transducers via a ST70 autopilot control head is detailed within Chapter 2: Commissioning procedures of the attached ST70 Autopilot Controller SmartPilot X Commissioning Instructions.