Raymarine forum
[CA] [CA11] VHF TO GPS HOW DO I CONNECT - Printable Version

+- Raymarine forum (http://forum.raymarine.com)
+-- Forum: Raymarine Forums (/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Networking / System Integration (/forumdisplay.php?fid=21)
+--- Thread: [CA] [CA11] VHF TO GPS HOW DO I CONNECT (/showthread.php?tid=9594)

[CA11] VHF TO GPS HOW DO I CONNECT - jaberwoky - 09-25-19 08:44 AM

Hi I have a Raymarine A78 Wi Fi Chartplotter/Sonar combi unit and a Standard Horizon 1600e I would like the easiest way to connect the 2 for DSC use, I have an eight inch ST ng cable the white end will connect into the back of my A78 with a silver plug on the other end. The VHF is a standard horizon 1600e which I believe works on the NMEA 0183 which has 4 split wires to connect to gps blue green gray and brown, can i strip the end off my ST ng cable to reveal 4 wires? or buy a plug with 4 split wires to connect together or can I buy a separate gps Arial and connect direct, so the A78 will have its own gps signal so the VHF Radio will be connected to it own gps but I would prefer to connect to the A78
Please see pics attached

RE: [CA11] VHF TO GPS HOW DO I CONNECT - Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator - 09-25-19 10:28 AM

Welcome to the Raymarine Forum jaberwoky,

Q1. The VHF is a standard horizon 1600e which I believe works on the NMEA 0183 which has 4 split wires to connect to gps blue green gray and brown
A1. As you have suggested, the SH 1600e supports NMEA 0183 communications. The SH 1600e does not support NMEA 2000 communications.

Q2. Can i strip the end off my ST ng cable to reveal 4 wires? or buy a plug with 4 split wires to connect together?
A2. Negative. The a6x/a7x MFDs support NMEA 2000 communications. These MFDs do not support NMEA 0183 communications. Please click here to view a FAQ addressing how GPS data from your a-Series MFD may be supplied to your VHF radio. Per the SH 1600 installation guide, its NMEA 0183 IN+ lead is features a blue insulator and its NMEA 0183 IN- lead features a green insulator.

A3. Can I buy a separate gps Arial and connect direct?
A3. While this may be possible, it would require a GPS sensor supporting NMEA 0183 communications, which Raymarine no longer manufactures.

RE: [CA11] VHF TO GPS HOW DO I CONNECT - jaberwoky - 10-04-19 05:37 AM

thx for reply in a nut shell can I connect my SH VHF to my Raymarine A78 for DSC purpose if so what will I need to buy to do this plz many thx for your help Paul

RE: [CA11] VHF TO GPS HOW DO I CONNECT - Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator - 10-04-19 07:39 AM

Welcome to the Raymarine Forum Paul,

Are you simply seeking to supply GPS data to the VHF radio in support of the VHF radio's DSC features? If so, then please refer to the FAQ within my initial response as it identifies the Raymarine products required to support this capability (i.e. E70196
VHF NMEA 0183 to STng Converter Kit and an appropriate length of SeaTalkng Spur Cable).

... or are you seeking to additionally send NMEA 0183 DSC sentences to the MFD to support plotting of DSC position reports?