Raymarine forum
[CA] [CA11] Autopilot to replace old Northstar system - Printable Version

+- Raymarine forum (http://forum.raymarine.com)
+-- Forum: Raymarine Forums (/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Autopilots (/forumdisplay.php?fid=23)
+--- Thread: [CA] [CA11] Autopilot to replace old Northstar system (/showthread.php?tid=9669)

[CA11] Autopilot to replace old Northstar system - michels280 - 10-06-19 08:20 AM

I have a 2006 Sea Ray 380 with the old Northstar autopilot system. The rudder reference is bad, and, because the parts are obsolete, I have to replace the system. I'm replacing the e120 classic MFD with the ES127 and the VHF240 (not working, as it says it cannot connect to base station) with the Ray90. I plan to leave the 5S 48" 4k open array radar alone, for now....and I'm running Yanmar diesel.

My questions.
1. Which autopilot would be appropriate for this boat, given the old system and the new components?
2. Will my old radar, 5S 48" 4k, work with the ES127? if not, will this effect the autopilot?
3. I have the RS125 external GPS. Will this need to be upgraded with the ES127? I have a hard top, so I'm not sure if the internal gps on the ES127 will work. I am assuming the GPS location for the Ray90 will pull from the signal from the ES127.
4. Is there an adapter bezel kit when going from the e120 classic MDF to the ES127?

Thanks in advance for your help.

RE: [CA11] Autopilot to replace old Northstar system - Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator - 10-07-19 02:11 PM

Welcome to the Raymarine Forum michels280,

Unless you have identified a source for a re-manufactured eS127 MFD, please be aware that Raymarine is out of stock of for these MFDs and they haven't been produced in some time. If seeking a currently manufactured MFD to replace an E-Series MFD, then it would typically be recommended that an Axiom Pro S 12" or Axiom Pro RVX 12" MFD be considered.

Q1. Which autopilot would be appropriate for this boat, given the old system and the new components?
A1. For vessels featuring hydraulic steering, the model of hydraulic pump is determined by cubic capacity of the vessel's steering ram(s). The remaining components are then based upon the hydraulic pump required. Please click here to view a FAQ addressing this subject. If your vessel features a steering system which is not hydraulic (ex. power assisted cable steering, etc.) then please respond accordingly.

Q2a. Will my old radar, 5S 48" 4k, work with the ES127?
A2a. Negative. Please click here to view a FAQ addressing how to add radar capabilities to an eS-Series MFD or Axiom MFD.

Q2b. if not, will this effect the autopilot?
A2b. Negative.

Q3a. I have the RS125 external GPS. Will this need to be upgraded with the ES127?
A3a. Negative. The RS125 may be adapted (via a SeaTalk to SeaTalkng Converter kit) to be interfaced to the powered and properly terminated SeaTalkng / NMEA 2000 backbone to which the Evolution autopilot components and MFD will also be interfaced. Alternatively, the eS-Series MFDs and Axiom Pro MFDs feature a NMEA 0183 communications interface, to which the RS125 may be interfaced.

Q3b. I have a hard top, so I'm not sure if the internal gps on the ES127 will work. I am assuming the GPS location for the Ray90 will pull from the signal from the ES127.
A3b. Should the MFD's installation location not afford it an unobstructed view of the skies overhead, then it would indeed be recommended that it be interfaced to an external GPS sensor (ex. RS150, RS130, RS125, etc.).

Q4. Is there an adapter bezel kit when going from the e120 classic MDF to the ES127?
A4. Raymarine offers the A80565 E120 to Axiom Pro 12 / eS12x MFD Adapter Plate.

RE: [CA11] Autopilot to replace old Northstar system - michels280 - 10-09-19 08:33 AM

Thanks for your help, Chuck!!!

RE: [CA11] Autopilot to replace old Northstar system - Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator - 10-09-19 09:28 AM

You're welcome.