Raymarine forum
[TG] [TG11] eS127 re-boot using LH 3 - Printable Version

+- Raymarine forum (http://forum.raymarine.com)
+-- Forum: Raymarine Forums (/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Multifunction Displays (/forumdisplay.php?fid=120)
+--- Thread: [TG] [TG11] eS127 re-boot using LH 3 (/showthread.php?tid=9823)

Pages: 1 2

[TG11] eS127 re-boot using LH 3 - nharrison5 - 10-30-19 06:13 PM

I just completed a 230 mile trip. The first leg was 140 miles over two days, and the second was 90 miles in one day. I am having maintenance done at a ship yard, prior to bringing the boat back the remaining 50 miles and laying it up for the winter.

I have an eS127, use a Navionics chart card, have an EV autopilot with a p70 display, and an I70s instrument display. In addition, I am using the September 27th version of the LH 3 software.

Twice, at random times, the MFD re-booted on the first leg. It re-booted once on the return leg. All three times the MFD returned to the two chart screen I was using. I was not using the autopilot any of the three times.

This never happened over three years with LH 2. The events are so random, that running without the Navionics card on a narrow river (as suggested I. Another thread), does not seem to be a practical approach to me. I can do a factory reset (as suggested in another thread), but would that mean I would have to re-program the autopilot?

If I am underway with the autopilot in use, will the re-boot affect the autopilot? I am currently using the GPS in the MFD as a data source

RE: [TG11] eS127 re-boot using LH 3 - Tom - Raymarine - Moderator - 11-07-19 12:36 AM

Hello nharrison5,

I'm sorry to hear you're having problems.

To answer your questions:
Quote:I can do a factory reset...but would that mean I would have to re-program the autopilot?
A factory reset on the MFD only resets the MFD, not the pilot.

Quote:If I am underway with the autopilot in use, will the re-boot affect the autopilot?
If you're just in Auto mode, steering to heading, no. If you're in Track mode, steering to waypoint data then yes because the waypoint data would no longer be present whilst the Axiom's application software is restarting. In this instance the pilot would drop to Standby with a No Data alarm.

Before you do a reset though, it would be worth posting back here any MFD log-files that have been created. If an MFD restarts because of an internal problem then it's designed to save information about what went wrong as it does so, and those logs contain valuable information. You can find them in Home > Settings > Network > Diagnostics > and then 'Save this display's crash logs' and 'Save system logs'. This will copy the data to the MicroSD card, which you can then post back here and we can take a look.

Regards,
Tom

RE: [TG11] eS127 re-boot using LH 3 - nharrison5 - 11-16-19 10:20 AM

Tom,

Thanks for the answer. It is an eS127 running LH 3, not an Axiom. I factory reset the eS127 MFD prior to seeing this. Just after resetting, in the same session, the MFD crashed again. After the MFD rebooted, I re-installed the routes I had installed using the plotter sync feature of Navionics. I noticed the route names are all truncated so that the route name doesn’t fully describe the route on the MFD. This is not the case on the Navionics app. Is this a bug? That doesn’t happen when I use a MicroSD card.

I will copy the log that currently exists and send in, but it did not happen while under way. It happened right after the factory reset.

Nate

RE: [TG11] eS127 re-boot using LH 3 - Tom - Raymarine - Moderator - 11-19-19 11:37 PM

Hello Nate,

I'd suggest installing the new 3.11 software that's just come out, and if you still reboots after this, post your crash logs back here.

Regarding the route names: what are they truncated from and to? I've not checked in recent software but in earlier software there was a constraint of a maximum of 16 characters in waypoint/route names.

Regards,
Tom

RE: [TG11] eS127 re-boot using LH 3 - nharrison5 - 11-23-19 09:39 PM

I installed the new version of LH 3. The truncation only happens with the plotter sync through Navionics. The Navionics software shows the full name. The MFD truncates to 16 characters.

When I import the routes from a card, they show the full name on the MFD.

Incidentally, I was unable to get the plotter sync to work after the update to the latest version.

RE: [TG11] eS127 re-boot using LH 3 - Tom - Raymarine - Moderator - 11-26-19 08:53 PM

Quote:Incidentally, I was unable to get the plotter sync to work after the update to the latest version.
Is that the latest version of LH3 (and if so, please could you confirm exactly what version you have?) or the latest version of the Navionics app?

Regarding the waypoint name truncation: what I suspect is happening there is that the Navionics app is using a single standardised approach to synching with our displays, regardless of which model display it is. The older Lighthouse 2 displays had a limit of 16 characters in names, so I suspect that the Navionics app is truncating names to comply with this, although the limitation no longer applies with the LH3 systems.

Regards,
Tom

RE: [TG11] eS127 re-boot using LH 3 - nharrison5 - 11-26-19 09:16 PM

The waypoint aren’t the issue. The route name is the issue. I suspect you may be right about Navionics truncating the route name.

I am using 3.11.42. Plotter sync was working on the previous version which was put out in late September. It has not worked with 3.11.42. The routes that were transmitted with plotter sync were transmitted with the previous version.

RE: [TG11] eS127 re-boot using LH 3 - Zonefive1 - 12-07-19 11:58 PM

I too have an es127 running LH3 (Annapolis). Heading south to the Bahamas and the chart plotter has rebooted at least 12 times. Once right in the Miami inlet!!! There is nothing strange about my system... All the components are new Raymarine. Complete refit of all the electronics just 3 years ago. I'm not using tracks either.

I'm about to replace all of the Raymarine equipment with something else if the buggy software doesn't get fixed. I could download the crash logs but I'm trying to sail everyday and it's not easy to troubleshoot a chart plotter underway.

Raymarine needs to do more testing of the software. And yes I have done a system reset and I'm not asking the chart plotter to do anything else.. I just need to see the charts and not have it reboot. Asking too much???

Okay who do send the crash logs too?

RE: [TG11] eS127 re-boot using LH 3 - Tom - Raymarine - Moderator - 12-09-19 09:11 PM

Hello Zonefive1,

You can post crashlogs back here. They're key to our engineers finding and fixing whatever is causing the issues you're seeing, so please do send them if you can. Please make sure that you update to v3.11 (Cannes) though, as if you're still running 3.9 (Annapolis) you're missing out on two versions worth of fixes and improvements.

As someone who's not involved in the development of the MFD software but does do some software development in other areas, I might say that the developers and in particular the tester have a harder job than it might seem. We're constantly under pressure to add new features - most people only want a few features, but everyone wants a different few which means a lot in total - and the combinations of products, settings and user-keypresses that need to be tested is practically infinite and not every possible situation can be foreseen and tested for. As an example, I know of a few cases of MFDs that frequently reboot as a result of incorrect and invalid NMEA2000 data being output by one type of third-party AIS transceiver, and I was involved in another bug investigation a while back which only occurred if you had a specific combination of instrument displays and data, an active waypoint and a certain active system alarm at the same time, and only then intermittently.

If you can get 3.11, and then if the problems still occur you can get me the log files, I will look through and pass to our engineers.

Regards,
Tom

RE: [TG11] eS127 re-boot using LH 3 - nharrison5 - 12-10-19 12:37 AM

Tom,

The sync was working on the September version of LH 3. It stopped working when I installed Cannes 3.11.

The sync did not work for awhile with my IPad with the September version due to encryption software on the IPad. With that disabled it worked. As soon as I upgraded to Cannes it will not sync.