Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[CA] [CA11] Replacing C120 with e127
01-13-20, 12:26 PM (This post was last modified: 01-14-20 04:11 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
[CA11] Replacing C120 with e127
Would it be possible to replace my current MFD (Classic C120) with an e127 without having to change out any other systems ie, radar, GPS, etc? If so, what would I need to make this new connection possible?

Any information would be appreciated!
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
01-14-20, 04:17 PM
RE: [CA11] Replacing C120 with e127
GMo,

Please click here to view a FAQ addressing this subject. As indicated therein, the currently installed radar transducer would need to be replaced. Depending upon the makes and models of the other devices within your present system, it may be possible to adapt them for use with an e127 MFD. If supplied with this list, then it may be possible to adapt them for use with an e127 MFD. Please additionally note that e-Series MFD production ended approximately five years ago and as such these MFDs may be a bit challenging to locate. Raymarine's currently manufactured MFDs are the Axiom/Axiom Pro/Axiom XL MFDs.
01-15-20, 11:19 AM
Thanks Chuck. I would be able to provide a list of the other equipment on my boat on Friday and maybe you could recommend the most economical upgrade. Also, I was able to find one e127 that I purchased. You're right though, it seemed to be the only one I could find - and it indicated in "New" condition. I hope it wasn't a scam! It is currently showing shipped and will arrive by Feb 1.

Thanks again,
01-15-20, 11:33 AM
You're welcome.
01-18-20, 04:12 PM
Hey Chuck. So I found the P/Ns of the other components on my boat. The radar I have is the Pathfinder M92650-S, the GPS - I couldn't find the actual P/N on the unit but I have an original manual for the Raystar 120 & 112LP Receiver, and I have the ST70 Autopilot. I also have an Airmar B744v and a DSM 300. Can you tell me what I would need to replace in order to use the e127?

Thanks,
01-21-20, 11:56 AM
GMo,

Q1. The radar I have is the Pathfinder M92650-S.
A1. As indicated within the previously referenced FAQ, the radar transducers which were designed for use with C-Series MFDs are not compatible with a/c/e/eS/gS-Series MFDs. Accordingly, should it be desired to utilize radar features on the e127 MFD, then it would be necessary to replace the radar transducer with any of Raymarine's currently manufactured radomes or open array radar systems.

Q2. GPS - I couldn't find the actual P/N on the unit but I have an original manual for the Raystar 120 & 112LP Receiver,
A2. These GPS sensors were produced in both SeaTalk and NMEA 0183 variants ... the actual type may be determined from inspection of the upper shell of the GPS sensor or the vinyl medallion which was affixed to the upper shell. An E22158 SeaTalk to SeaTalkng Converter Kit may be used to adapt the SeaTalk version of these sensors and the NMEA 0183 version of these sensors may be interfaced to the corresponding NMEA 0183 leads of the MFD's Power/NMEA 0183/Video Input Cable per the previously referenced FAQ.

Q3. I have the ST70 Autopilot
A3. ST70 is an autopilot control head. It would have been interfaced to an autopilot course computer. Should the autopilot course computer be a SPX5/10/30, then these items would be disconnected from the SeaTalk bus and would instead be interfaced as individual spurs to a powered and properly terminated SeaTalkng / NMEA 2000 backbone
to which the MFD will also be interfaced as a spur. If interfaced to another model of autopilot course computer, then the aforementioned SeaTalk to SeaTalkng Converter Kit may be used to interfaced to autopilot course computer to the MFD. See the SeaTalk section of the previously specified FAQ for details.

Q3. I also have an Airmar B744v and a DSM 300.
A3. Should the DSM be operational, then it may be interfaced to one of the e127 MFD's Ethernet (RayNet) sockets via a assembly constructed from an A80272 RayNet (M) Pins to SThs (M) Socket Adaptor Cable and an an appropriate length of RayNet (F) to RayNet (F) Cable. Alternatively, the B744V may be adapted with an E66066 Transducer Adapter Cable to be mated to the e127 MFD's Transducer socket.
01-22-20, 12:52 PM
Thanks, Chuck - much appreciated!
01-22-20, 12:53 PM
You're welcome.